Science & Engineering
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Full-Time Regular (FTR-A)
PURPOSE: Independently performs routine to moderately complex technical examinations and provides assistance to Forensic Examiners in the examination of evidence to include chemical analyses.
Performs complex analyses on drug and/or explosive evidence in a laboratory setting.
Receives, inventories and delivers evidence and maintains chains-of-custody. Coordinates movement of evidence among various technical specialties within the forensic laboratory and other entities in conjunction with chemical analyses. Prepares detailed laboratory notes.
Works with other employees to maintain and establish Quality Controls within a laboratory setting.
Conducts assigned examinations and experiments utilizing well defined methods and a variety of scientific tools, equipment, instrumentation and techniques. Participates with other senior examiners to decide the nature and extent of examinations to be conducted on more complex materials and items of evidence.
Assigned to coordinate complex matters related to scope of analyses with other laboratory units, outside agencies, and related entities.
May assist during the collection and/or processing of items of evidence in a field environment. May provide basic instruction and guidance to entry level employees and/or assist in the training of new employees as assigned by senior examiners.
May assist other senior personnel in research studies by obtaining factual information and/or conducting routine tests/experiments.
Bachelor's degree in science, chemistry, forensics or related field and 2 years of job related experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience performing duties as described may be substituted for the minimum requirements.
- Experience in using laboratory equipment and techniques using chemistry analytical methodologies Gas Chromatography (GC) and/or Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectroscopy.
- Demonstrated experience in communicating results of scientific examinations both orally and in writing.
- Must be able to plan work and carry out work independently.
- Must be able to pass security background investigation; and, to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- Knowledge of the principles, theories, concepts, and practices of chemistry and analysis of material and chemical compounds
- Knowledge of the characteristics and application of scientific equipment, instrumentation and tools to obtain data that is accurate and reliable. Must possess the ability to follow established methods and procedures when processing evidence.
- Knowledge of examination techniques and skill to perform analytical processes to obtain technical information about items of evidence.
- Ability to identify moderately complex modifications of procedures and techniques to solve problems and/or improve the quality of results.
- Knowledge of laboratory scientific and administrative procedures.
- Knowledge of Laboratory safety practices and skill in complying with safety requirements to perform functions safely.
- Per current US Government / Client contract and deployment requirements, all employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, without exception, upon hiring.
ELIGIBLE FOR SIGN-ON BONUS
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!
Click here to get started.