Are you a curious, creative and innovative network technologies research engineer?
Do you want to find a job where you can apply your expertise to new technologies and or non-traditional problem sets?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking a Networking Research Engineer who is motivated to create solutions for hardest national security challenges. You will be joining a team of engineers who look at Internet Protocol, wireless networks and network design and architecture to apply to our Government, Military and National Health sponsors. We strive to foster an environment of collaboration, innovation and application...and we would love to have you on our team!
As a Networking Technologies Research Engineer, you will...
- Lead the research, development and implementation of modernized and/or innovative networking solutions to address Government, Military and National Health challenges.
- Support architecture development, integration, and testing prototypes in operationally-realistic environments, working closely with sponsors to ensure mission success.
- Document work in formal technical reports and informal memoranda. Present work to sponsors and the technical community.
- Engage in standards bodies or other external communities and societies.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Ph.D. in Computer Science or another related discipline with a focus in Communications and Networking.
- Have at least five years of relevant experience in the development of hardware and / or software for networked systems.
- Have knowledge of, and experience with, the data, network and transport layers of communication or networking systems, IPV4/6, TCP and other emerging protocols.
- Have demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work independently, and demonstrated ability to work as part of a multi-organizational team.
- Are highly skilled in expertise with several of the following tools: Linux, Unix, C, C++, Python, Java, MATLAB.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you ...
- Have at least fifteen years of knowledge/experience in data networking and IP standards.
- Have experience with analysis or development of session and presentation layer software technologies.
- Have experience with US government and military communication systems.
- Have knowledge of 4G/5G cellular communication technologies.
- Have experience with Project and/or Technical management of hardware, software, or systems integration teams.
- Have experience in applying Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence techniques to networking problems.
- Hold a current Top Secret clearance with a SSBI.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at .
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone's voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.