Remote Lead Data Engineer - Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute
West Virginia University Research Corporation is seeking applications for a Remote Lead Data Engineer with the Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute.
Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute is the premier multidisciplinary institute for patient care, research, and teaching in West Virginia and the region. We celebrated the opening of our new Innovation Center on May 15, 2019. The RNI's flagship facilities are located on the Health Sciences campus in Morgantown. Find out more about our outstanding work and contributions today at:
About the Opportunity
The Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a remote Lead Data Engineer who will assist the data scientist team in building RNI's data collection systems and processing pipelines. Responsible for building and maintaining optimized and highly available data pipelines that facilitate deeper analysis and reporting by the Data Science & Analytics department. Builds data processing frameworks that handle RNI's growing database of clinical and applied research. Works with senior data science leadership as well as other Data Science & Analytics teams in leveraging data with reporting and scientific tools; for example: Python, Spark, R, etc. Strives to continuously develop new and improved data engineering capabilities
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs:
* 13 paid holidays ()
* 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
* A range of
* Dependent Education Scholarship
* WVU Perks
* And More!!
What you'll do:
* Management & Strategy
- Provides senior-level contribution to a team that is responsible for the design, deployment, and maintenance of RNI's data platforms
- Owns and extends RNI's data pipeline through the collection, storage, processing, and transformation of large data-sets
- Monitor the existing metrics, analyze data, and lead partnership with other Data Science & Analytics teams in an effort to identify and implement system and process improvements
- Develop queries for ad hoc RNI projects, as well as ongoing reporting
- Build a metadata system where all available data is maintained and cataloged, and play a major role in the development of reliable data pipelines that translate raw data into powerful features and signals
- Design, architect, implement, and support key datasets that avail structured and timely access to actionable insights, and develop ETL processes that convert data into formats through a team of data analysts and dashboard charts
* Collaboration & Support
- Play a collaborative role working closely with RNI's Data Science & Analytics teams, gathering technical requirements for exceptional data governance across the department and RNI at large
- Work with the data analysts, data warehousing engineers, and data scientists in finding and applying best practices within the Data Science & Analytics department as well as defining RNI's data requirements, ensuring that the collected data is of a high quality and optimal for use across the department and RNI at large
- Work with senior data science management and departments beyond the Data Science & Analytics department in analyzing and understanding data sources, participating in design, and providing insights and guidance on database technology and data modeling best practices
- Draw performance reports and strategic proposals form gathered knowledge and analyses results for senior data science leadership
- Play an analytical role developing and managing scalable data processing platforms for exploratory data analysis and real-time analytics. Oversee, design, and develop algorithms for real-time data processing within RNI and to create the frameworks that enable quick and efficient data acquisition.
- Retrieve and analyze data through the use of SQL, Excel, among other data management systems. Build data loading services for the purpose of importing data from numerous disparate data sources, inclusive of APIs, logs, relational, and non-relational databases.
* Knowledge & Opportunity
- Responsibility of contributing to the continual improvement of RNI's data platforms through observations and well-researched knowledge. Keeps track of industry best practices and trends and through acquired knowledge, takes advantage of process and system improvement opportunities.
- Bachelor's degree (masters' preferred) in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or any other technology related field. An equivalent of this educational requirement in working experience is also acceptable.
- Candidate for this position must have had at least two (2) years of working experience working in a data engineering department, preferably as a Data Engineer in a fast-paced environment and complex research/business setting.
- Candidate must have a demonstrated experience in building and maintaining reliable and scalable ETL/ELT on big data platforms as well as experience working with varied forms of data infrastructure inclusive of relational databases such as SQL, Hadoop, Spark and column-oriented databases such as Redshift, MySQL, or Vertica.
- Candidate must also have had experience in data warehousing inclusive of dimensional modeling concepts and demonstrate proficiency in scripting languages, for example, Python, Perl, and so forth.
- Candidate will also demonstrate machine learning experience and experience with big data infrastructure. The candidate will additionally demonstrate substantial experience and a deep knowledge of data mining techniques, relational, and non-relational databases.
- Interact cross-functionally with non-technical departments; have an exceptional ability to convey complex messages in a clear, simplified, and understandable manner.
- Draft reports and prepare presentations for senior data science leadership
- Demonstrate strong computer skills and a deep passion for analytics. Possess an ability to perform complex data analyses with large data volumes. Must be an expert in SQL, Java, and have a keen understanding of data models and data warehouse concepts.
- Demonstrate an ability to translate algorithms provided by senior data science management and implement them in as well as strong knowledge in Linux, OS tools, and file-system level troubleshooting. Have substantial experience working with big data infrastructure tools such as Python, SQS, and Redshift. A suitable candidate will also be proficient in Scala, Spark, Spark Streaming, AWS, and EMR.
About Research Corporation
Why WVU Research Corporation?
WVURC was created as a not-for-profit corporation in 1985 to support research (R1) at West Virginia University. We provide evaluation, development, patenting, management, and marketing services for inventions of the faculty, staff and students of the University.
WVURC receives and administers funds awarded by external agencies for research and other activities and is responsible for helping protect intellectual property through patents, copyrights and licensing agreements for startup companies based on University research.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Sep 26, 2022