Job posting has expiredBack to search results
VP, Corporate Legal Affairs-Remote
| Emergent Biosolutions|
United States, Maryland, Gaithersburg
|January 10, 2023|
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
I. JOB SUMMARY
Reporting to the EVP of External Affairs, General Counsel, and Corporate Secretary as a senior leader with the Legal department, responsible for providing legal advice and counsel to the general and administrative business (G&A) and business lines and leading a number of legal functions including government investigations and commercial litigation, legal operations, business development transactional support (M&A), and corporate governance and securities. The successful candidate will be an experienced corporate leader and creative legal problem solver, with significant management and leadership experience and an extensive background in the legal issues and transactions that flow from the G&A side of a complex public corporation. The position will interact regularly with executive management and at times with the Board of Directors.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
* Representing the Legal department on various senior management cross-functional teams and/or committees.
* Retaining, supervising, and directing outside counsel effectively and efficiently managing legal expenses consistent with the Legal operations budget.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management's assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
* At least 15 years of experience working in a law firm and/or pharmaceutical or biotechnology legal department with a minimum of 5 years managing attorneys.
* Deep understanding of the legal issues affecting the pharmaceutical industry, including regulatory processes for prescription drugs, anti-kickback, fraud and abuse, anti-bribery and anti-corruption and antitrust laws. Working knowledge of the global regulatory environment. In-depth understanding of the pharmaceutical industry, including IP, manufacturing, R&D, regulatory, and commercial elements.
* Strong ability to grasp legal issues quickly, exhibit strong analytical problem solving and decision-making skills, exercise sound judgment, and provide practical and constructive legal advice in a time-sensitive, dynamic, and fast-paced complex environment.
* Strong management, teamwork, and leadership skills with a growth mindset, including the ability to effectively develop, build, motivate, and manage matrix teams.
* Strong negotiation and communication skills (both oral and written). Ability to communicate legal issues in a clear and understandable manner. Builds relationships across functions and sites and inspires trust and confidence through effective communication and interpersonal skills.
* Strong work ethic and ability to manage large workload, focus on critical priorities, and otherwise effectively meet client needs directly and with members of the Legal team.
* Defines success in terms of team goals, adapts quickly to changing resource requirements, has a clear understanding of other groups' business priorities, and uses knowledge of organizational culture to achieve objectives.
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Information submitted will be used by Emergent BioSolutions for activities related to your prospective employment. Emergent BioSolutions respects your privacy and any use of the information submitted will be subject to the terms of our .
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions' approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions' approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.