**Applicants should reside in the San Francisco Bay area, Greater Los Angeles area or San Diego, California**
Why join our team?
USO mission and exceptional team, around the world, make this a great place to work. We offer generous paid time off, including volunteer days and military leave. We have an exceptional 401k match, great benefits including training/education reimbursement and really fun team members that put the mission first. Working for the USO is more than a job. It's a calling. (Do what you like, like what you do)!
Here is what an independent external survey told us:
- 97% agree they like the work they do
- 90% are satisfied with the pay and benefits
- 95% would recommend working here to friends and family
- 95% would recommend the USO services to a friend
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for successful implementation of fundraising strategies within their assigned geographic service area and raising donations from individuals and family foundations over $10k.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (*Essential Duties)
- Raise revenue and manage fundraising program activities including but not limited to: relationship strategy development, prospect identification, solicitation and engagement, proposal development, recognition and appreciation efforts as related to current and new major gift income sources in an assigned region.*
- Manage and support individual, family foundation and planned giving developments strategies, initiatives and campaigns within the assigned region.
- Partner with local USO Operations Center leadership and fellow Development staff to support local fundraising events & activations.
- In coordination with Marketing and Communications, create consistent, powerful and compelling messaging as it relates to major gift development efforts.
- Prepare and present oral and written reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Business Administration or related field. Master's degree preferred.
- 5+ years work experience in individual, foundation, and corporate giving/sponsorship development role. Relevant experience in a non-profit, military, multicultural and/or global organization preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills. Ability to deliver compelling call-to-action cases to internal and external stakeholders at a variety of levels.
- Solid knowledge of IRS guidelines for charitable contributions and Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance Standards for Charity Accountability.
- Ability to achieve desired results while working collaboratively in a matrix team environment.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills. Ability to effectively interact with USO Leadership, the general public and military audiences at a variety of levels.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment related to controversial and/or culturally sensitive subjects. Ability to handle confidential information with tact and poise.
- Working knowledge of basic business and accounting functions including project management and budgeting.
- Demonstrated initiative/self-motivation, with the ability to quickly and easily adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Ability to manage a high volume of assignments with varying complexity and competing priorities in a fast-paced environment with integrity and professionalism
- Proficiency using computers and electronics equipment. Working knowledge of various software, applications, and programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite and Raiser's Edge.
- Ability to obtain and maintain proper credentials necessary to access USO Center locations and facilities including but not limited to security, credit and/or background screening, SOFA status, valid driver's license.
- Must be a strong advocate of the USO's mission to lift the spirits of America's troops and their families.
- This position will support the West Region. Applicants should reside in the San Francisco Bay area, Greater Los Angeles area or San Diego, California.
- The salary range for the Major Gifts Officer position is $72,000 - $115,000 plus bonus.
- USO locations will adhere to local area and DOD guidelines regarding COVID vaccination/testing requirements. Employees may be required to be vaccinated or tested regularly per local requirements.
- Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration.
- Background check - education, criminal and driving required.
- The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
If that's not enough to convince you, here are some direct quotes from employees:
- The organization truly cares about the people who work here.
- I have been with the USO for 4 years and have consistently been able to grow in my knowledge and position. It is a fun place to work and my work/life balance is manageable. The way the organization has handled COVID has been top notch - I never felt fearful that I would lose my job or be put in a situation where I did not feel safe. The benefits are great - PTO and 401k matching are top level.
- There is great consideration given and extended in the following areas: organizational core values for all, work-life balance, impact we can actually see (and even experience as a staff member- the feeling of making an impact is priceless), autonomy with respect to current position within the organization.
- Everyone is friendly and easy to talk to. We collaborate well together and share ideas and interests to create fun activities for our overall goal in the community. I couldn't think of a better organization to work for.
- The mission alone provides a positive and meaningful purpose, where people should want to work and be a part of. Most of the people who work for the USO and volunteer for the USO have giving hearts and want to make a difference. This also makes the organization a place where people would want to work.
- The mission and opportunities to make a Difference are amazing. There is no doubt that the USO is one of the most forward-facing, frontline serving nonprofits that I know of.
Apply today and be a force behind the forces