Do you have a passion for Space Systems Engineering?
If so, we 're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Space Systems Engineer to help support new concept developments and ongoing projects for National Security Space (NSS).
Be Part of Something Innovative
Over the past 25 years, the Space Exploration Sector at APL, has pushed the boundaries of what is possible; delivering game-changing impacts to sponsors like NASA and the Department of Defense. This includes historic, science space firsts like New Horizons reaching Pluto, Parker Solar Probe being the first to "touch" the sun, and the DART mission that redirected an asteroid for planetary defense. As a not-for-profit university affiliated research center, APL also delivered solutions to our nation's national security challenges, as proven with the recent Deep Space Advanced Radar Concept (DARC) Tech Demo, and acts as a trusted partner with the US Space Force in space domain awareness and space-integrated warfare.
APL teams are currently developing missions that will advance the search for life in the Solar System through programs such as Europa Clipper and Dragonfly, exploring the lunar and cislunar domains, and providing fundamental knowledge of our Sun's influence on the near-Earth environment through IMAP and other research and technology endeavors. To learn about these APL's mission and projects, and .
As a Space Systems Engineer will...
- Lead engineering teams in the formulation, development, and execution of space mission concepts and system analysis in NSS. Projects range from analytical studies in cyber architectures, operations and control, space situational awareness, and space protection for example, to formulation of system concepts, to development of a flight mission or experiment, including hardware, software, integration and test, and operations.
- Provide technical interface to sponsor and project management.
- Perform systems level technical analysis, trade studies, and analysis of alternatives.
- Formal communications through systems engineering documents, reports, proposals, and oral presentations.
- Lead and participate in engineering team meetings and overall technical development efforts.
- Develop and lead requirements, verification, and validation efforts.
- Define and manage system interfaces.
- Lead, coordinate, and present at technical design reviews.
- Work with project manager in defining and managing project risks.
- Lead and coordinate system level testing efforts.
- Technical responsibility for delivering integrated missions, instrument payloads, spacecraft, or other mission articles.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
- M.S. (or higher) in Systems Engineering
- At least 5 years of Systems Engineering experience on national security space projects including a leadership role in the development of a space flight mission or significant space systems analysis.
- Experience and familiarity working directly with national security space sponsors.
- Currently active SCI clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at .
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
APL is committed to promoting an innovative environment that embraces diversity, encourages creativity, and supports inclusion of new ideas. In doing so, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals of all abilities, including those with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Accommodations@jhuapl.edu. Only by ensuring that everyone's voice is heard are we empowered to be bold, do great things, and make the world a better place.