Apps Solution Architecture
As the Solutions Architect on the New Hospital at Parnassus Heights (NHPH) Experience and Design Team, you will be at the front line of creating the next generation of healthcare delivery.
This position involves conceptualization, planning, designing, and implementing complete and integrated information technology (IT) solutions for the New Hospital at Parnassus Heights. Work is based on implementing the vision of the NHPH Experience and Design Team to establish an IT conceptual architecture that is time-independent but allows for the implementation of specific technologies over time with the ability to smoothly transition technology changes. Demonstrates a keen understanding of institution-wide and/or multi-organizational needs and long-term goals. Researches and prototypes emerging technologies and approaches. Works on issues that impact project success or address future concepts, products, or technologies. Understands and coordinates with NHPH team members, and other operational partners when appropriate, and understands various IT technology standards, best practices, and strategies for infrastructure growth. Define and prioritize opportunities to test new technologies and workflows that can be deployed in existing hospitals prior to the opening of the NHPH.
This position is responsible for leading the architecture of new health-related IT systems for a highly complex project - the new UCSF Helen Diller Medical Center at Parnassus Heights, a state-of-the-art 21st-century adult-care hospital designed and equipped to provide an unsurpassed level of care for patients scheduled to open in 2030.
The new 15-story, 875,000 gross-square-foot (GSF) hospital will enable UCSF to provide much-needed capacity for additional acute, emergency, and intensive care beds, meet the state's seismic requirements and provide an optimal healing environment that addresses social, psychological, spiritual, and behavioral components of health in one place. The holistic focus on the needs of patients reflects UCSF's integrated research, education, and care delivery mission at Parnassus Heights. The new hospital will incorporate the latest innovations in technology and equipment for advanced complex care and bridge scientific research discoveries from bench to bedside leading to accelerated innovative treatments and therapies to benefit patients.
UCSF Health is a growing regional health system that includes UCSF Medical Center, the top-ranked hospital in California and among the top five nationally, according to U.S. News & World Report. The new hospital will be embedded within a campus that includes leading clinicians and scientists focused on translating discoveries into treatments and cures. UCSF Helen Diller Medical Center will be part of a planned broader revitalization of the Parnassus Heights campus that also will modernize facilities supporting our research and education priorities.
As a key member of the multi-disciplinary NHPH Experience Team, you will be at the front line of creating the next generation of healthcare delivery. By understanding needs today, and trends and innovations of tomorrow, you will facilitate the creation of future state workflow and service designs. This is an architecture position that defines business and technical architectures for digital enablement of health care needs, within the new hospital and enterprise as a whole. It involves the definition of health care business capabilities, customer journey maps and technology architectures, evaluation of and experimentation with digital technologies, hands-on development of prototypes, and review of architecture from others.
To ensure a successful opening, the NHPH Experience Team will define and prioritize opportunities to test new technologies and workflows that can be deployed earlier in existing hospitals. Through this continuous learning approach, you will help prepare our frontline staff and operations, and design for patients and families a seamless care experience between UCSF Health and partner care facilities, as well as pre-and post-procedure at home.
The successful candidate will define and communicate health care business and technology capabilities that require digital integration, provide architecture leadership to the NHPH project and connect them with UCSF's digital roadmap and technology strategy, perform solution architecture review & technology solution alternatives analysis, and produce hands-on proofs of concept for technologies and business capabilities.
This position is a 3-year contract of employment with UCSF, inclusive of full-time benefits. This position will be required to work on-site at least 3 days per week.
Clinical Systems and Health Informatics are responsible for all aspects of the clinical and business software applications of UCSF Health hospitals, practices, affiliates, and community partners. This includes the Electronic Health Record (APeX), which supports the clinical, revenue cycle, and clinical operational functions of the health system and its affiliates, and approximately 95 other software applications involved in patient care and operations.
Incumbent must be able to adhere to and emulate Clinical Systems and Health Informatics culture and core values as stated below:
"People First: Patients are healthier and families happier with Clinical Systems to support them. Our solutions enable providers and staff to pioneer care, train the next generation of clinical leaders, and secure UCSF's future. We use talent, creativity, and diverse skillsets to tackle tough problems. We strive to be proactive, and make time to innovate, appreciate and connect. When something big is needed, we deliver.
Clinical Systems Core Values include:
Judgment: Makes wise decisions, identifies root causes, thinks strategically, and prioritizes what to do now and what can be improved later.
Communication: Listens well, is concise and articulate in speech and writing, treats people with respect independent of their status, and maintains calm poise in stressful situations.
Impact: Accomplishes amazing amounts of important work, colleagues can rely upon you, focuses on results,
exhibits bias-to-action, and avoids analysis-paralysis
Innovation: Finds practical solutions to hard problems, suggests better approaches and new ideas that prove useful, and stays nimble by minimizing complexity and finding time to simplify.
Collaboration: Understands that work cannot be accomplished solely as an individual contributor; works through others to develop holistic solutions that meet our customer needs and the goals of the organization.
- Bachelor's degree in a related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- 8 years of related experience in a medical center environment
- Experience in web/mobile/cloud software, web/mobile software language, and object-oriented software concepts. Knowledge of network protocols and how they are used on a large (campus / medical center / OP-wide, institution-wide, or beyond) network. May require advanced knowledge of API/ESB/middleware, data interoperability standards in clinical research and healthcare, cloud computing platforms, data storage, processing analysis, and visualization technologies, and how they are used in administrative and/or academic endeavors at a large, top-tier research university or medical center.
- Significant experience with the integration of highly complex, diverse, internally and externally developed implementations of business functions to build enterprise-class, scalable systems.
- Expert at estimating technology capital and operating costs.
- Expert knowledge of data storage, processing, and analysis and how they are used in administrative, medical, and/or academic endeavors.
- Expert knowledge of information management, and campus / medical center / OP business processes and strategic goals.
- Expertise relating to the design and development of information technology architectures across the organization
- Knowledge of software, database, infrastructure, and other IT functions. Knowledge relating to the design and development of software across an organization.
- Knowledge of other related areas of IT. Ability to apply department processes and procedures to work.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to convey technical information and instructions to all levels of clinical application users in a specific, clear, and concise manner.
- Ability to understand business needs and how business systems can support those needs.
- Demonstrated ability to work with others from diverse backgrounds.
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team. Demonstrates problem-solving skills. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to translate business needs into long-term architecture solutions. Expertise relating to the design and development of software across the organization.
- Enterprise-level understanding of and experience with key modeling and description languages used to map highly complex business processes to architectural components, develop common, large-scale data resource architectures, and create reference frameworks.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Informatics
At UCSF Health, our mission of innovative patient care, advanced technology and pioneering research is redefining what's possible for the patients we serve - a promise we share with the professionals who make up our team.
Consistently ranked among the top 10 hospitals nationwide by U.S. News & World Report - UCSF Health is committed to providing the most rewarding work experience while delivering the best care available anywhere. In an environment that allows for continuous learning and opportunities for professional growth, UCSF Health offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence - also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity - both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Job Code and Payroll Title
000532 IT ARCHITECT 5
Clinical Systems / IT Professionals, Professional and Managerial
99 - Policy-Covered (No Bargaining Unit)
Hybrid, Parnassus Heights (SF)
Additional Shift Details
Monday - Friday