West Virginia University Research Corporation Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources is currently accepting applications for a Robotics Software Developer.
About the Opportunity
The West Virginia Robotic Technology Center (WVRTC) is looking for a software developer to lead the development of next generation robotic systems for In-Space Servicing, Assembly and Manufacturing (ISAM) and assisting in managing the center IT assets. At WVRTC, you will be a member of a multi-disciplinary team to create and test robotic technologies for space robotic missions and technology development. The prime focus of the WVRTC is to support the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. Research efforts include capturing orbiting satellites for refueling and repairing, performing complex in-space semi-autonomous assembly tasks as well as ground simulations of robotic systems operating on-orbit. The WVRTC also interacts with other entities as a subcontractor with projects supported from GSFC.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs:
- 13 paid holidays ()
- 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
- A range of
- Dependent Education Scholarship
- WVU Perks
- And More!!
What you'll do:
- Design, develop, test and maintain multiple software packages for controlling industrial robots in support of various ISAM-related tasks, including real-time control systems, graphical user interface and simulations. Experience with communication protocols, such as TCP-IP, UDP and Ethercat, is highly preferred due to the distributed nature of the systems.
- Lead all the necessary organizational tasks such as maintaining repositories, ticketing system and team coordination.
- May assist in development in other areas. These include maintaining the center IT (network setup, servers maintenance, IT security plans, etc.), as well as integrating existing hardware and software systems.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering or other related disciplines OR an equivalent combination of education and directly related experience.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in the following:
- Writing software for robotic systems and supportive technology, including mathematical algorithms, control systems, computer vision and graphical user interface applications.
- Strong experience with C/C++ software development.
- Experience with real-time systems.
- Experience with product version control and release management (git).
- Experience with CMake for build automation, testing, packaging and installation of software.
- Experience with symbolic and numeric computing environments (e.g. Maple).
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Strong skills in using critical thinking by logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Excellent troubleshooting and complex problem solving skills.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology preferred. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Experience in maintaining multiple networks and network related appliances.
- Experience in installing maintaining, updating, hardening unix-based servers (Linux and Solaris) and related services (Apache web server, redmine ticketing system, LDAP, DNS, SSL certificates).
- Experience with management of government IT assets, including generating, applying and maintaining IT security plans.
- Experience with Latex for generating reports and software-related documentation (e.g. Software Requirements Specification).
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Skilled at analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- U.S. Citizenship or US permanent residency ("Green Card" holder)
About Research Corporation
The WVURC was created as a not-for-profit corporation in 1985 to support research (R1) at West Virginia University. We provide evaluation, development, patenting, management, and marketing services for inventions of the faculty, staff and students of the University.
The WVURC receives and administers funds awarded by external agencies for research and other activities and is responsible for helping protect intellectual property through patents, copyrights and licensing agreements for start-up companies based on University research.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic environment is core to WVURC's mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Nov 3, 2023