Job Title: Structural Engineering Manager
Reports to: Director of Structural Engineering
FLSA Class: Exempt
The Structural Engineering Manager (SEM) is an experienced licensed Engineer responsible for managing a team of engineering staff. The SEM is a primary resource for their team providing leadership, contract compliance, technical guidance, and direction to production personnel. This position leads their team of engineering staff to ensure the facilitation of a project's completion on-time, on/underbudget, and meeting FSB's quality standards. The SEM is responsible for directing and overseeing the implementation of improved discipline production tools, standards, and processes. The SEM communicates with and coordinates production processes and personnel skill development with the Discipline Director.
During a project lifecycle, the SEM shepherds an engineering project through the project production phases including Design Development, Construction Documents, and Construction Administration. The SEM communicates with the Design Manager through a project's Pre-Design and Schematic Design phases coordinating the design vision and intent with their project team. In addition, they work with Project Managers to ensure the FSB engineering production work under their supervision aligns with the expectations of the client.
- Oversees a team of engineers and technicians producing multiple projects.
- Schedules the work and individuals within their project team assignments.
- Responsible for productivity / billable time of staff under their supervision.
- Involved in high level production assisting all staff within their team.
- Complete project responsibility related to the preparation and development of contract documents.
- Executes and coordinates projects of all sizes and complexities.
- Serves as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) within the team and firm.
- Performs employee evaluations within their team assignments.
- Implements and improves standards, procedures, or processes related to production.
- Responsible for communicating to the Director of Engineering employee successes and challenges.
- Hold team and individuals accountable to deliver upon commitments.
- Follow through on personal and team goals; helps overcome team and project challenges and obstacles.
- Manage production resources effectively for the team; maintain or better the prescribed project billable hours on a weekly basis and communicate any deviations with the Project Manager; coordinate personnel schedules as needed.
- Contribute to initial and revised time estimates for projects. Reinforces the need for, preparation of and reviews and maintenance of project execution plans.
- Understands and demonstrates the need for open and direct communication, both verbally and in writing; ensure that team communications are consistent, thorough, and timely.
- Regularly communicates with Project Managers working with your team, alerting them of possible problems, conflicts, and opportunities to improve the project.
- Demonstrates a highly organized and systematic approach to producing a project; understands the necessity to keep the team and project tasks list updated and complete.
- Regularly review sets of the team's deliverables for coordination, accuracy, efficiency, thoroughness, and completeness in accordance with submission and contract requirements.
- Takes initiative to make positive change; assists the team to consistently produce quality projects.
- Initiates and oversees Office Quality Control Plan.
- Oversees and assists with team communications, both internal and external to FSB, as appropriate.
- 70% billable, 30% overhead.
- Can be relied upon to present directly to the client, Subconsultants, Authorities Having Jurisdiction, and others as needed on technical and design solutions.
- Works closely with the Project Manager to execute project plans.
- Coordinates with Project Manager to directly supervise the teams' design and contractual delivery.
- Consults in the conceptual design and provides full support through the entire project.
- Responsible for interpreting, organizing, executing, and coordinating assignments.
- Responsible for researching technical challenges that arrive on team projects, including constructability.
- Liaises with Project Management, other project staff, and consultants.
- Develops and represents lead technical viewpoint on projects.
- Coordinates with Director of Engineering on appropriate technical solutions and product strategies.
- Demonstrates a high degree of time management skill and constantly seeks to streamline processes and procedures to increase quality and efficiency.
- Proficient in Revit preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite: Word and Excel.
- Proficient in product options, performance, selections, and in writing technical Specifications.
- Assists and provides Independent Technical Reviews meeting the FSB Quality Control process.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's and/or Master of Engineering.
- Licensed Engineer.
- Minimum of 5 years experience on a variety of project types, 7 years preferred.
Frankfurt-Short-Bruza Associates, P.C. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.