Job ID:35926 On-Call Nights and Weekends as needed
Positions Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
Provide emotional and spiritual support to patients, families and staff in emergency and urgent situations during nights, weekends, and holidays, when staff chaplains are not in the hospital.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Associates may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Provides pastoral care to patients, families, staff, physicians, and volunteers.
- Carries and responds to pager at all times during shift.
- Responds immediately by phone and arrives at the hospital in less than 30 minutes in the case of emergencies, or within two hours for a non-emergency.
- Coordinates communication with local Roman Catholic priests when one is needed for sacramental purposes.
- Facilitates communication between hospital staff and family members.
- Assists family members with viewing of the body following the death of a patient, both on hospital units and in the morgue, as requested.
- May assist hospital staff in learning family wishes pertaining to funeral home and autopsy.
- Completes appropriate documentation for all contacts.
- Shares pertinent information with Pastoral Care staff to facilitate follow-up by staff.
- Attend and participate in monthly on-call meetings.
- Complete all required training and development programs.
||Ordained person, as determined and indicated by their denomination, or trained and experienced lay person. Active member of an area congregation. Experience as pastor and/or chaplain.
||High School Diploma or GED. Associate's degree preferred. Clinical Pastoral Education, one or more units, especially in hospital setting, preferred.
|Specialized Knowledge and Skills
||Strong interpersonal skills, including appropriate boundaries. Ability to work with an interdisciplinary team. Demonstrates the ability to obtain information on the teaching and practices of the religion of those served. Demonstrates the ability to successfully interact with the diverse population the hospital serves. Ability to respond to pages immediately by phone and be contacted by phone. Strong verbal and written communication skills, especially listening skills. Basic computer skills.
On-call requires 30 minute response
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
|| Nights, Evenings
| Degree Type / Education Level
|| High School / GED
|| Per Diem
|| Sparrow Hospital
| Experience Level
|| Under 4 Years