Back to search results
| Cook Inlet|
United States, Alaska, Anchorage
4510 Old International Airport Road (Show on map)
|September 08, 2023|
Mate of Towing 200-1600 GT
We are Alaska's tug andbarge company- and are growing.
Cook Inlet Tug & Bargehasprovidedmarine services since 1924. We specialize in harbor services and fuel distribution throughout South Central, Southeast and Western Alaska. Visit www.cookinlettug.com to learn more about us.
Why Cook Inlet Tug & Barge?
Simply put, Cook Inlet Tug &Bargeisa team ofexceptionalmerchant mariners. If you are looking foradventure,flexibleseasonalwork, andenjoy what you do,this isan opportunity of a lifetime!Here, you willbeprofessionallychallengedin a remote environment with a stunning backdrop to add to your life experiences.
Benefits for your seasonal position may apply. If you are ready for an adventure, we would love to hear from you!
We will be starting interviews for our upcoming summer season NOW!
Get your application in today at: https://www.cookinlettug.com/careers!
Roles and Responsibilities
As Chief Mate you are responsible to the Captain for the safety and security of the vessel.
Working at the direction of the Captain to perform various tasks such as:
* Ensuring crew's welfare and training in areas such as safety, firefighting, search and rescue.
* Ensure the safe navigation of the vessel while steering, operating, pushing, and pulling barges and other vessels under tow, while docking, or unloading.
* Implement company policies and procedures, and general maritime industry standards to maintain a safe work environment.
* Focus on water depth, weather, surging and other traffic.
* Keeping the tow wire clear of the bottom, navigational aids, and other vessels.
* Assist with inspections and conduct required drills, training, safety meetings and records per company policy to include essential notifications.
* Mate of Towing 200 GT near coastal, Mate of Towing 500 GT near coastal or greater, or 500 ITC Oceans with a Mate of Towing Vessels upon Oceans endorsement. (TOAR) 1600 GT oceans (preferred).
* Any AB rating (Able Seaman), Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW) and Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boat with Life Boatman (preferred).
* Valid USCG Merchant Mariner Credential required/ STCW, HAZWOPER, and PIC (preferred).
* Valid Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC).
* Valid state driver's license.
* ValidUnited States Passport.
* Must be able to pass a criminal background checkwithqualificationsto enter Canada.
* High School Diploma or equivalent.
* Must be eligible to work in the United States.
Experience and Skills:
* Two years of previous experience during the last 15 years as a Deckhand, Deckhand/Engineer or licensed deck officer (preferred).
* Three years of sea-going experience on towing vessels (preferred).
* A marine operations background and are familiar with shipyards, tugs, and oil barges (preferred).
* Extensive knowledge of Maritime law and current updates.
* Skilled with equipment best suited to handle the job at hand.
* Lodging and provisions on the vessel
* Transportation to and from the vessel provided by the company
* Must bephysicallyfittoclimb aboard tugs and barges, ascend and descend ladders and balance while aboard vessels in aseaway; kneel,stoop, use stairs, reach overhead, and stand forlong periods.
* Comfortable with heights or narrow walkways.
* Must be able to work 12 hours a day every day for the full season.
* Exposure toallweather conditions(rain, ice, snow, heat,wind, etc.).
* Seasonal position - four to six months.
* As leaders in our industry, we take crew Health and Safety seriously
Cook Inlet Tug & Barge is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce and taking affirmative action to employ and advance qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans. We are a drug-free employer and a participant of the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled