Job posting has expiredBack to search results
Dosimetrist (Shreveport, LA)
| Varian Medical Systems, Inc.|
United States, Alabama, Birmingham
|July 09, 2023|
Together, we can beat cancer.
At Varian, a Siemens Healthineers Company, we bring together the world's best talent to realize our vision of a world without fear of cancer. Together, we work passionately to develop and deliver easy-to-use, efficient oncology solutions.
We are part of an incredible community of scientists, clinicians, developers, researchers, professionals, and skilled specialists pushing the boundaries of what's possible, to improve people's lives around the world. We embrace a culture of inclusivity in which the power and potential of every individual can be unleashed. We spark ideas that lead to positive impact and continued success.
If you want to be part of this important mission, we want to hear from you.
Serves onsite as a member of the Dosimetry team with knowledge of the overall characteristics and clinical relevance of the radiation oncology treatment machines and equipment. Has the education and expertise to generate radiation dose distributions and dose calculations in collaboration with the radiation oncologist.
- Design a treatment plan by means of computer and/or manual computation with optimal beam geometry to deliver a prescribed radiation dose and spare critical structures in accordance with the Radiation Oncologist's prescription.
- Identify and contour normal and dose-limiting structures by utilizing images from one or more data sets. Assumes proficiency in image registration with various image data sets to include CT, MRI and PET.
- Create and transfer reference images and localization markers for portal verification and treatment delivery to include DRRs, CBCTs and other IGRT methods, as specified.
- Supervise, perform, or assist in simulations and tumor localization using specified imaging devices including, but not limited to CT, MRI, and PET.
- Supervise, perform, or assist in the planning and implementation of the fabrication of compensation filters, custom shields, wedges, and other beam modifying devices.
- Supervise, perform, or assist in the planning and implementation of the production of molds, casts, and other immobilization devices.
- Communicate with the radiation therapist(s) and assume an advisory role in the implementation of the treatment plan including: the correct use of immobilization devices, compensators, wedges, field arrangement, and other treatment or imaging parameters.
- Perform calculations for the accurate delivery of the prescribed dose, document all pertinent information in the patient record, and verify the mathematical accuracy of all calculations by an approved method.
- Located or willing to relocate to Shreveport, LA area
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 6-8 years of related experience
- Board Certified by the MDCB.
- Knowledgeable in the areas of anatomy, physiology, clinical oncology, radiobiology, radiation physics, and radiation safety.
- Expertise in the technical aspects of radiation oncology and medical physics to develop optimal treatment plans.
- Knowledgeable in health care informatics -including the resources, devices and methods to acquire, store and retrieve data. Tools include computers as well as clinical guidelines, current medical terminology, information and communication systems.
- Possess good communication and interpersonal skills to facilitate the exchange of information with patients, family members, the radiation oncology treatment team as well as outside entities.
Fighting cancer calls for big ideas.
We envision a world without fear of cancer. Achieving this vision takes dedication and commitment from all of us, every single day. That's why we celebrate and value the distinctly beautiful and intersectional identities of each of our employees. We are a mirror of our patient-base, which allows us to innovate. Big ideas come from everywhere, and the best ideas are fostered by our unique individual experiences. At Varian, we encourage you to bring your whole self to work and believe your bold and authentic perspective will help to power more victories over cancer.