Community Educator - Hybrid/La Crosse
| Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, Inc.
United States, Wisconsin, La Crosse
|March 04, 2024
PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF WISCONSIN, INC.
LA CROSSE , WI - HYBRID
* Additional $1.50/hr. for bilingual (English/Spanish) *
At Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, Inc. (PPWI), we work to provide quality, affordable health care services, comprehensive education, and strong advocacy. We serve over 60,000 patients annually in 22 health centers statewide, making us the largest and most trusted reproductive health care provider in Wisconsin. Our goal is to help keep Wisconsin safe, healthy and strong!
This is an excellent hybrid opportunity for a Community Educator (40 hours/week, benefit eligible) at our La Crosse offices, the community and remote work.
If you are a recent graduate and/or have at least 2 years providing community education to youth and adults, we encourage you to apply to this position. This role is a growth opportunity to be part of our growing community education team and for those who are still starting a career in education.
PURPOSE of POSITION:
This position is focused on supporting the department's mission of creating sexually healthy communities with a focus on reducing the rate of teen and unintended pregnancy and STI/HIV/AIDS in targeted communities. The long-term goal of this position is contributing to reductions in health disparities related to sexual and reproductive health outcomes. This position will work closely with external partners who share PPWI goals of implementing comprehensive sexuality education that is medically-accurate, age-appropriate with a goal of increasing knowledge and utilization of sexual and reproductive health services and improving sexual and reproductive health outcomes, especially eliminating disparities in these outcomes. The Community Outreach Educator will also provide some internal and primarily external educational programming. They will also work with youth, parents and caregivers of youth, other adults, community-based organizations, health care providers, educators, other professionals, and public entities on matters related to sexual and reproductive health. They will also serve as an agency liaison to targeted communities within assigned region and nearby communities, community organizations, and coalitions.
1. Must be committed to the vision and the values of Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, Inc.
2. Must have excellent customer service skills and be committed to providing the highest level of internal and external customer satisfaction.
3. Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
4. Demonstrated success building and maintaining community relationships.
5. Working knowledge of sexual and reproductive health, comprehensive sexuality education, adolescent health and development, and/or other issues related to healthy sexuality.
6. Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills and organizational skills.
7. Ability to collaborate with others to prioritize tasks and work independently and as a team member within deadlines.
8. Ability to relay sensitive information regarding sexuality, values formation, and decision making to youth, parents and other caregivers of youth, and other adults.
9. Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
10. Demonstrated experience using Microsoft Office programs.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent required and one year experience working with the public by providing customer service. Working with youth or adults in a community-based or educational setting preferred. Experience with providing health education to youth or adults preferred.
Demonstrated targeted work in the following communities: youth/young adults of color, with LGBTQ people, immigrant groups and at-risk youth is preferred.
The position is predominantly sedentary requiring the ability to sit, bend, stand and walk. May require occasional stooping, reaching, stair-climbing and repetitive motions of the hands and wrist related to writing and typing at an electronic keyboard. Rarely requires kneeling, pushing/pulling and repetitive motions of the feet.
Physical demands of the position necessitate hearing, talking, handling and grasping regularly. May require lifting up to 30 pounds. Specific vision conditions include close vision reading. Requires the ability to operate a computer, telephone, fax, copy machine and adding machine or calculator
The position is generally performed in an office or community environment and may involve frequent interruptions. The noise level is generally low to quiet. The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations, however, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform said essential functions.
Occasional evening and/or weekend hours may be necessary.
This position requires traveling statewide, therefore a valid driver's license and auto insurance in accordance with agency liability standards is required if driving a personal vehicle.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES:
OTHER DUTIES and ABILITIES:
PPWI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.