UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 01-17-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
At UC Santa Cruz, we strive to enrich the total educational experience by promoting physical activity, encouraging health and wellness, creating and shaping community, and cultivating direction. Through our diverse offerings in athletics, classes, workshops, outdoor trips, intramural sports leagues, tournaments, clubs, drop-in activities, and recreational facilities, we strive to provide opportunities for UCSC students, staff and faculty, retirees, alumni, and local community members to participate. As one of the largest student employers on campus, we also have many work-study and non-work student jobs in our facilities and programs. Our goal is to provide a wide variety of professional programs and physical activities that promote and enhance community, learning, motivational skills, lifelong wellness, and academic achievement.
More information can be found here: https://goslugs.com
Salary Information: Salary Range: $73,850/annually
No. of Positions: 4
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Sun (TBD)
- Shift Includes: Day, and Evenings, Weekends as necessary
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification:
Travel: Up to 75%
55% - Provides intercollegiate and sports club athletes with complex, advanced injury prevention training, and evaluation, management and rehabilitation of athletic injuries. Applies professional concepts to provide the full range of prevention and rehabilitation of athletic injuries by means of protective and therapeutic wrappings and use of therapeutic modalities, devices, and rehabilitation techniques. Provides medical coverage to home practices, games, and some away competitions. Administers first-aid to athletes. Maintains discretion and confidentiality and handles sensitive matters involving athletic injuries and treatment. Screens and refers injured athletes to athletic team physician or other medical services as needed
15% - Reports injuries, completing appropriate documentation, and maintenance of medical charts.
15% - Provides moderate to complex rehabilitation of athletic injuries through the use of various therapeutic exercise programs. Provides advanced manual therapy skills applicable to orthopedics and sports medicine.
5% - Maintains athletic training facilities and equipment, ensuring all athletic equipment is fully operational and athletic training rooms are maintained according to standards
5% - Works in a collaborative manner, organizes and prioritizes work assignments and develops recommendations. Assists in developing, coordinating, and administering a comprehensive sports medical program for Intercollegiate Athletics. Performs professional and administrative services as it pertains to athletic training as assigned. Participates in student aide/intern program. And performs any other duties assigned by the Director of Athletics.
5% - Enforces safety procedures. Responsible for inventory maintenance, including clinical supplies and rehab equipment. Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in a CAATE accredited athletic training education program
- Computer skills in programs relevant to job duties.
- Thorough skills associated with athletic injury prevention and the administration of therapeutic modalities, devices, and rehabilitation techniques, as well as of first-aid, athletic equipment, and injury assessment and treatment.
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality in handling sensitive matters involving athletic injuries and treatments.
- Thorough knowledge of electronic medical records systems.
- For positions associated with Sports Medicine, must maintain current knowledge of applicable rules and standards of the affiliated athletic conference, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) or National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), as well as other associations and agencies to which the campus adheres. At all times, avoid any and all violations of these rules and standards.
- Strong ability to work in a highly collaborative manner with others, including athletes, team physicians, faculty, staff and others in the athletic department.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Knowledge of procurement function and campus budget requirements relating to athletic equipment and supplies.
- Strong ability to organize and prioritize work assignments and complete assignments within required timelines.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills needed to work with a diverse client group.
- Strong manual therapy skills applicable to orthopedics and sports medicine.
- Master's degree in related field
- Familar with evaluating proper primary insurance coverage
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must possess a current CPR certificate.
- Must possess a current Professional Athletic Trainer Certification
- Must possess CPR/First Aid/AED certification or have the ability to obtain it within 60-calendar days of hire.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the state of California and be able to participate in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) pull notice program.
- Ability to perform essential physical job functions.
- Ability to work in conditions of variable temperature/weather with possible exposure to strong, unpleasant odors, high levels of noise and vibrations, and exposure to dust and allergens.
- Ability to sustain exposure to dusty, noisy environments and inclement weather as necessary to carry out assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to safely perform the physical requirements necessary in storing and moving materials. The ability to lift light to moderate objects up to 40 lbs., with or without accommodation.
- Will be required to work all scheduled hours on-site.
- Ability to work a variable schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
- Clery Act : This position has been identified as a Campus Security Authority (CSA); required to report crimes, incidents, and disciplinary referral statistics as required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (20 USC * 1092(f)).
- Ability to travel to multiple work locations on and off campus.
- Ability to travel nationally.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Ability to maintain appearance and conduct suitable for working in a professional setting.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.