When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world's leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We're a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward - and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you'll be doing...
Verizon is committed to provide the best Omni Channel and personalized experience to its customers over all channels including Digital, Retail and Indirect, and Customer Care. To enable this best-in-class customer experience, we are working on implementing Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) practices and principles across all customer interactions and applications. The role of the SRE team is to operate applications in production "mission-critical systems" and do whatever is necessary to keep the site up and running. It is often defined as a software engineer doing operations work. This SRE lead engineer will be responsible for maintaining and establishing service levels agreed upon with Business and manage error budgets for each of their systems. You will be expected to balance your time doing operational work (making sure systems work as expected) and also improving the systems by writing software to automate processes and reduce toil.
We are looking for a Principal Site Reliability Engineer to join the Verizon VCG GTS Team. The incumbent has to spearhead the SRE transformation journey who would be responsible for end-to-end management of multiple diverse applications involving on-premises and cloud implementations. In this role, you will lead a team that designs and develops the AWS infrastructure to move local applications to public & private cloud.
- Designing complex solutions which integrate AWS cloud, on premise physical and Virtual server, EC2, S3 storage, networking and security.
- Conducting systems design, feasibility and cost studies and recommend cost-effective cloud solutions.
- Developing standardized AMI images and Cloud formation automation scripts for building non-prod and prod environments on AWS.
- Designing, deploying and supporting available and scalable distributed Cassandra (Datastax OR Apache) database solutions for high transaction mission critical applications.
- Developing data models and perform planning of architecture, functions, modules, recovery, standards and implementation.
- Installing, configuring and monitoring DataStax Enterprise cluster and/or open source Cassandra cluster.
- Maintaining and developing data models, structures, and procedures to ensure the integrity and performance of database components.
- Working with internal and external customers to develop new value-added programs and data solutions with existing data warehouse structure.
- Analyzing and determining information needs and elements, data relationships and attributes, data flow and storage requirements, and data output and reporting capabilities.
- Researching and evaluating alternatives and recommend solutions for business issues. Create ad-hoc reports utilizing various data sources. Maintain current knowledge of relevant technologies.
- Participating in continuous improvement efforts in enhancing performance and providing increased functionality.
Where you'll be working...
What we're looking for...
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering.
- Experience in scripting Python, Jenkins etc.
- Knowledge of scripting in the UNIX environment.
- Experience in working on Oracle 11g or higher DB's.
- Experience in managing Databases in the AWS environment.
- Experience in multi-database platforms - Oracle, NoSQL "Cassandra database", SQL Server and also having a hybrid cloud Experience - AWS, OCI and Azure platforms.
- Experience in building and managing Cassandra Open Source.
- Experience in UNIX and in all areas of database Administration: performance tuning, data-pump, backup/recovery, KSH programming, PLSQL, replication methods.
- Experience in Oracle 19c RAC, VLDB's, Performance tuning/troubleshooting skills.
- Experience in managing Open Source Cassandra Clusters involving 50++ nodes spanning across multi geographic locations.
- Experience in infrastructure layout, provisioning.
- Experience in Amazon AWS cloud infrastructure with particular reference to provisioning, security, and management.
- Certifications in Oracle, Cassandra and/or AWS.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every "even better" qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our page to learn more.