WHAT IS THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT) DIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at:
Six (6) vacancies may be filled anywhere in the following specialty area:
Information Technology Division.
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Responsible for the development and design of robust, scalable and cloud-based platforms responsible for managing the cloud computing architecture, especially as cloud technologies grow increasingly complex. Cloud computing architecture encompasses everything involved with cloud
computing, including the front-end platforms, servers, storage, delivery and networks required to manage cloud storage.
- Serves as the Cloud Subject Matter Expert specialist for executing and overseeing cloud computing strategy. Directs and mentors junior staff, reviews the work of other analysts including Data Scientists, provides feedback to management regarding staff performance, and demonstrates
leadership in the office. Assists data architects in building the framework for data search and retrieval.
- Provides highly technical advice to IRS executives as needed.
- Provides leadership and direction to broad research projects of major policy importance, difficulty, and complexity, directed toward significant problems relating to goals and mission of the IRS.
Conditions of Employment
- If you are in a telework eligible position, you may be directed to temporarily telework on a full-time basis due to COVID 19. Employees must be within a 200-mile radius of their official assigned post-of-duty (POD) while in a telework status. Once normal operations resume, employees may be directed back to the office to perform the duties of their position. Telework eligibility does not guarantee telework; employees must meet and sustain IRS telework eligibility requirements and supervisor's approval to participate in the IRS Telework Program. As a reminder - If you are selected for a position, you are responsible for reporting to your designated POD (location) on the negotiated start date or as directed by management.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National and provide proof of U.S. Citizenship. (Birth certificate showing birth in the U.S; Unexpired U.S. Passport; Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization; or Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen (Form FS-240))
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, including a FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement
time of referral:
Four years course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher professional engineering degree. The curriculum must: 1) be in a school of engineering accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) or 2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: a) Statics, dynamics, b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships), c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics, d) thermodynamics; e) electrical fields and circuits; f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. OR
A Combination of education and experience. The education must include courses equivalent to a major in engineering, as shown above. To be qualifying your experience must be sufficient to demonstrate: Thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering.
This must be demonstrated by meeting one of the following:
- Current registration as an Engineer Intern (EI), Engineer in Training (EIT), or licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico.
- Written Test showing evidence of having successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination, or any other written test required for professional registration.
- Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and that included the courses specified in the basic requirements.
- Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in an appropriate scientific field, e.g., engineering technology, physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology, may be accepted in lieu of a bachelor's degree in engineering, provided that you have at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE GRADE 15
: In addition to meeting the basic requirements you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: demonstrated mastery knowledge and technical understanding of the fundamental principles of professional engineering and scientific disciplines research, design, development integrated computer hardware/software information systems; Expert knowledge of systems design principles and development methodologies; Expert knowledge of information systems practices in areas such as applications development, systems integration, telecommunications, database management, security, and software engineering. At this level your experience should include formulating and applying new IS design principles based on broad architectural guidance; Participating in resolving mission critical agency-wide issues; developing Service-wide information systems and providing recommendations. You must have experience providing quality deliverables at every step of the infrastructure design and implementation process
For more information on qualifications please refer to .
For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to .
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click for Foreign Education Credentialing instructions.
- A 1-year probationary period is required.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Additional jobs may be filled.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- Day Shift - Start and stop times between 6:00am and 6:00pm.
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
- File a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually from then on.
Though many locations may be listed, you will be limited to a maximum of 3 location choices. Please consider each location carefully when applying. If you are selected for a position at one of your location selections, that location will become your official post of duty.
This is an open continuous announcement which allows applicants to apply up to the closing date of the announcement, 01/09/2024
The announcement will be used to fill an anticipated 6 vacancies. Selections may be made from certificates issued up to 12 months after the 1st cut-off date listed below. Contingent upon funding and space requirements, one or more vacancies may be filled at the locations listed in this announcement as they become available. Applicants need to apply and/or update their applications by 11:59 pm ET at the close of each of the following cutoff dates to be considered,
cut off 1- 1/23/2023; cut off 2 5/16/2023; cut off 3 8/14/2023 and cut off 4 11/13/2023
Selections will be made until 2/12/2024.
This announcement may be amended to include additional cut-off dates within the 12-month period if needed, not later than 5 days prior to the additional cut-off date or the final selection date.
It is anticipated that there will be significant interest in the announcement. As a result, the announcement will have cut-offs for applicant consideration. Eligible applicants who apply by 11:59 pm ET will be considered first. All other applicants will be considered in Quality Group order as needed, to fill remaining vacancies. Any required documents should be submitted at the time that you apply - documents will not be accepted after the vacancy closes.
This is an open continuous announcement which allows applicants to apply up to the closing date of the announcement, 01/09/2024
This announcement will establish an inventory of applicants. Contingent upon funding and space requirements, one or more vacancies may be filled at the locations listed in this announcement as they become available.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. .
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. All application materials, including transcripts, must be in English.
Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you will not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Education - See Education Section above
- Registration/License (If Applicable) - active, current registration/license
- Military Spouses (If Applicable) - You MUST submit verification of the marriage to the service member(i.e., a marriage license or other legal documentation verifying marriage) AND (1) a copy of your spouse's active military orders; OR (2) verification of your spouse's 100% service-connected disability (e.g., VA Letter and/or DD-214); OR (3) verification of the service member's death while on active duty (DD-1300/Death Certificate). You are not eligible if you were not married to the veteran at the time of death or have since remarried.
- Current and Former Federal Employees Documentation (If Applicable) - You MUST submit a copy of your most recent SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) or equivalent personnel action form which shows your current grade and competitive service status. (The "position occupied" block on the SF-50 reflects "1" and your "tenure" block reflects "1" or "2".) If you are applying for a higher grade, it is recommended to provide an SF-50(s) (or equivalent) which clearly demonstrates you meet the 52-week time-in-grade requirement (e.g., Promotion with an effective date more than one (1) year old, Within-Grade-Increase at the highest grade held).
- High School Diploma (or equivalent) - If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you MUST submit documentation of graduation from high school (or equivalent); OR completion of a formal vocational training program; OR statement from school authorities agreeing with your decision to pursue employment rather than continuing your education.
How to Apply
This Direct Hire Public Notice is to gather applications that may or may not result in a referral or selection. Your application will remain active through the open period of this Public Notice. Applicants will be referred on a first in, first out basis. Those applicants who are applying earlier in the process will stand a much better chance of being referred for consideration in the selection process.
The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on 01/09/2024 in this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. ET, Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us by noon ET on 01/09/2024.
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link:
- To begin the application process, click the "Apply Online" button.
- You will be re-directed to USA STAFFING to complete your application process; answer the online questions and submit all required documents. (To submit supporting documents, import documents from USAJOBS to the appropriate document types. If the document you need was not imported from USAJOBS, you may upload it directly into this application. To protect your privacy, we suggest you first remove your SSN).
- To complete, you must click the "Submit Application" button prior to 11:59 PM (ET) on 01/09/2024.
To update your application, including supporting documentation, at any time during the announcement open period, return to your USAJOBS account (). There you will find a record of your application, the application status, and an option to Update Application. This option will no longer be available once the announcement has closed.
To verify the status of your application both during and after the announcement open period, log into your USAJOBS account: . All of your applications will appear on the
page. The application record in your USAJOBS account provides an
Additional Application Information
page that provides information regarding the documentation you submitted and any correspondence we have sent related to this application. The
will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each
means, visit: .
Agency contact information
IRS Brookhaven External
1111 Constitution Ave NW
Washington, DC 20224
Treasury believes in a working environment that supports inclusion; please view our reasonable accommodation policies and procedures at . We will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis; please contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
Once your application package and online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email. You are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you. You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS "My Account" tab and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your application status, you may click on "more information." Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. If your email mailbox is full or blocked (SPAM) you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is set up to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.