When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world's leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We're a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward - and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you'll be doing...
As a Distinguished Engineer System Architecture, you be focused on providing leading-edge security solutions to enable growth & margin by ensuring the security of our information & assets, increasing collaboration for employees, customers, and partners through digital platforms.
You will lead and design security solutions for multiple systems with resource located globally, system architecture solutions, hardware and software configurations, Public Sector engagements, and Production Support. Designing and implementing in agile software development environment with strong focus on security solutions and remediation for systems and infrastructure.
This is a senior leadership role for Application and Software Security in Public Sector set of systems and infrastructure within the Verizon Business Group.
- Developing technical Security Solutions and framework to address security requirements.
- Developing project plan, makes appropriate adjustments to manage projects as they evolve involving other teams, PMs, Other Unit / Department IT Teams, such as QA, Infrastructure, HW, Production Support and Analysts etc.
- Preparing weekly reports for upper management regarding project/business status, ensures that projects are kept current for reporting purposes.
- Keeping a track with the rapid changes in security technologies, requirements and provide recommendations to management on strategic directions.
- Motivating and training staff to maximize productivity and promotes their professional development in a manner consistent with Verizon company policies and practices.
- Managing multiple, medium to large projects and coordinate development activities between multiple IT teams.
- Managing projects, coordinating development activities, ensuring timely delivery of modules to business with good quality and report project status to upper management.
- Coordinating application architecture and technology initiatives to ensure the adoption of proper technology for application development.
- Helping plan resources, budget, identify quick wins and identify process improvements that can be automated.
- Managing application initiatives, schedule and align projects, coordinating activities to diagnose and resolve customer issues by working with other teams.
- Leading teams and independently managing application initiatives.
- Providing guidance and leadership to other team members.
- Analysing and estimating projects, being able to completely handle the project from inception to implementation.
- Communicating regularly with Business sponsors and members of other IT groups (PM, Production Control, Infrastructure, Network Services, Marketing etc.) on project status, planned work and user involvement required.
Where you'll be working...
What we're looking for...
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 25% of the time.
- Experience in software design and application architecture.
- Experience in development and application security.
- Experience in Cloud Security Architecture.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A master's degree in Computer Science.
- Six or more years of technical experience and increasing responsibility (team lead, mentoring, SME, and technical lead for large, multi-technology deployments).
- Security certifications: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, GSEC or willingness to obtain within 12 months of hire.
- Knowledge of AWS, Azure, GCP and OCI native security tools.
- Knowledge of application security concepts, best practices and methods.
- Knowledge of security best practices, principles, and common security frameworks, such as NIST, ISO, Common Criteria, TCSEC, OWASP, Zero Trust etc.
- Knowledge of security by design principles and architecture level security concepts.
- Knowledge of current and emerging security technologies, threats and techniques for exploiting security vulnerabilities.
- Experience in coding in Java, Python, or Go, and at least one scripting language.
- Knowledge of web, mobile, API, Microservices, network and security architectures and design patterns.
- Experience in building secure software based on frameworks such as OWASP, CWE, SANS, OpenSAMM, BSIMM.
- Experience in various application security tools including SAST, SCA, DAST, Penetration testing, Fuzzing etc.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every "even better" qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our page to learn more.