WHAT IS THE LARGE BUSINESS AND INTERNATIONAL DIRECTOR EASTERN COMPLIANCEDIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at:
Vacancies will be filled in the following specialty areas:
Large Business and International, Director Eastern Compliance, Engineering
This is a position of Financial Analyst (Business Valuation Specialist) in the Large Business and International Division (LB&I) with responsibility for business appraisal projects that are highly complex and controversial. Functions as a technical authority on issues requiring the application of new theories and standards to appraisal problems not susceptible to treatment by accepted and established procedures, or no accepted or established appraisal procedures exist. Appraisals have significant tax consequences and may be vigorously contested.
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Performs unique, often controversial and precedent setting appraisals of businesses and business interests where the appraisal will have significant tax impact, affect large segments of taxpayers, and with potential to effect legislative change. Provides expertise to government attorneys on cases with litigation potential. Serves as expert witness in U.S. Tax Court or U.S. District Court.
- Performs appraisals and reviews appraisals prepared by recognized experts and authorities in the industry. Conducts conferences with taxpayers, representatives and experts to explain findings which are often vigorously contested. Prepares appraisal reports which represent the Service's position and documents conclusions with accurate facts and arguments for unagreed issues. Develops and utilizes sophisticated financial, analytical, and appraisal techniques appropriate to the particular type of business interest. Applies research, resourcefulness, and judgment in developing facts, valuation techniques, and tax law applicable to each assignment. Determinations often set precedent for future determinations throughout the industry.
- Makes determinations of the fair market value of very large and complex corporate, partnership, fiduciary, and individual proprietorship business interests, and other types of financial and investment instruments. Makes determinations of the value of tangible and intangible assets acquired or sold in corporate buyouts, mergers, reorganizations, etc. Allocates the purchase price of large and complex business entities to the various assets acquired in accordance with relevant economic and valuation principles and tax law.
- Makes determinations of reasonable compensation requirements for business executives using sophisticated analysis of industry data, surveys, and judgment. Reviews overall compensations packages including salary, stock options, retirement benefits, and other forms of remuneration. Makes determinations of marketability and minority discounts for property interests such as stock in closely held corporations, unregistered stocks and securities, limited and general partnership interests, and partial interest in business enterprises and real estate.
- Observes and studies trends in the appraisal field and promulgates the application of emerging theory and methodology to effect changes in Service practice and policy.
Conditions of Employment
- If you are in a telework eligible position, you may be directed to temporarily telework on a full-time basis due to COVID 19. Employees must be within a 200-mile radius of their official assigned post-of-duty (POD) while in a telework status. Once normal operations resume, employees may be directed back to the office to perform the duties of their position. Telework eligibility does not guarantee telework; employees must meet and sustain IRS telework eligibility requirements and supervisor's approval to participate in the IRS Telework Program. As a reminder - If you are selected for a position, you are responsible for reporting to your designated POD (location) on the negotiated start date or as directed by management.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National and provide proof of U.S. Citizenship. (Birth certificate showing birth in the U.S; Unexpired U.S. Passport; Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization; or Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen (Form FS-240))
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, including a FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the time of referral:
- Undergraduate and Graduate Education: Major study -- finance, business administration, economics, accounting, insurance, engineering, mathematics, banking and credit, law, real estate operations, statistics, or other fields related to the position, such as agriculture, agricultural economics, farm, livestock or ranch management, or rural sociology.
- OR Experience: Specialized Experience (for positions above GS-5): Experience such as performing financial analysis and evaluation work requiring a comprehensive knowledge of (1) corporate finance and any specialized fields of finance required such as public finance, securities, international finance, money and securities markets, investments, and banking, and (2) the financial and management structure, operations, and practices of corporate and other organizations.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal Service. Examples of specialized experience includes:
- Direct experience that includes the appraisal of closely-held businesses or business interests as the primary and typical job duty.
- Regularly made determinations of value for intangible assets, and selects and supports control premiums, lack of control, and lack of marketability discounts.
For more information on qualifications please refer to .
For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to .
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click for Foreign Education Credentialing instructions.
- A 1-year probationary period is required.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Additional jobs may be filled.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday 8 am - 4:30 pm.
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
This is an open continuous announcement which will be used to fill vacancies in the locations listed as they become available for the next 12 months contingent upon funding and space requirements. Applicants need to apply and/or update their applications by 11:59 pm ET at the close of the following cutoff dates to be considered:
Cutoff date(s): Initial cutoff date of 02/03/2023.
The next cutoff date will be 08/17/2023.
This announcement may be amended to include additional cut-off dates within the 12-month period if needed, not later than 10 days prior to the additional cut-off date(s). Eligible applicants in the highest category who apply by the initial cut-off date will be considered first.
If additional vacancies exist
, applicants who applied after the initial cutoff date who place in the highest category will be considered next.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. .
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. All application materials, including transcripts, must be in English.
Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you will not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Education - See Education Section above
- Registration/License (If Applicable) - active, current registration/license
- Military Spouses (If Applicable) - You MUST submit verification of the marriage to the service member(i.e., a marriage license or other legal documentation verifying marriage) AND (1) a copy of your spouse's active military orders; OR (2) verification of your spouse's 100% service-connected disability (e.g., VA Letter and/or DD-214); OR (3) verification of the service member's death while on active duty (DD-1300/Death Certificate). You are not eligible if you were not married to the veteran at the time of death or have since remarried.
- Current and Former Federal Employees Documentation (If Applicable) - You MUST submit a copy of your most recent SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) or equivalent personnel action form which shows your current grade and competitive service status. (The "position occupied" block on the SF-50 reflects "1" and your "tenure" block reflects "1" or "2".) If you are applying for a higher grade, it is recommended to provide an SF-50(s) (or equivalent) which clearly demonstrates you meet the 52-week time-in-grade requirement (e.g., Promotion with an effective date more than one (1) year old, Within-Grade-Increase at the highest grade held).
- High School Diploma (or equivalent) - If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you MUST submit documentation of graduation from high school (or equivalent); OR completion of a formal vocational training program; OR statement from school authorities agreeing with your decision to pursue employment rather than continuing your education.
How to Apply
This Direct Hire Public Notice is to gather applications that may or may not result in a referral or selection. Your application will remain active through the open period of this Public Notice. Applicants will be referred on a first in, first out basis. Those applicants who are applying earlier in the process will stand a much better chance of being referred for consideration in the selection process.
The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on 12/26/2023 in this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. ET, Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us by noon ET on 12/26/2023.
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link:
- To begin the application process, click the "Apply Online" button.
- You will be re-directed to USA STAFFING to complete your application process; answer the online questions and submit all required documents. (To submit supporting documents, import documents from USAJOBS to the appropriate document types. If the document you need was not imported from USAJOBS, you may upload it directly into this application. To protect your privacy, we suggest you first remove your SSN).
- To complete, you must click the "Submit Application" button prior to 11:59 PM (ET) on 12/26/2023.
To update your application, including supporting documentation, at any time during the announcement open period, return to your USAJOBS account (). There you will find a record of your application, the application status, and an option to Update Application. This option will no longer be available once the announcement has closed.
To verify the status of your application both during and after the announcement open period, log into your USAJOBS account: . All of your applications will appear on the
page. The application record in your USAJOBS account provides an
Additional Application Information
page that provides information regarding the documentation you submitted and any correspondence we have sent related to this application. The
will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each
means, visit: .
Agency contact information
(ERC) Employee Resource Center
LBI - Director Eastern Compliance
1111 Constitution Ave NW
Washington, DC 20224
Treasury believes in a working environment that supports inclusion; please view our reasonable accommodation policies and procedures at . We will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis; please contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
Once your application package and online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email. You are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you. You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS "My Account" tab and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your application status, you may click on "more information." Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. If your email mailbox is full or blocked (SPAM) you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is set up to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.