The Bus Monitor assists students while they are being transported to and from school and provides a consistent environment, discipline, and guidance for the students while they are on the bus.
This job reports to the Transportation Coordinator.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: No job-related experience is required.
- Assists Bus Driver in maintaining the interior cleanliness, appearance, sanitation, and safety of the bus.
- Assists in conducting emergency evacuation drills to ensure the efficiency of procedures and compliance with mandated requirements.
- Assists students (e.g. tying shoes, mittens, hats, coats, personal hygiene, etc.) with their needs during transport and in the safe loading and unloading from buses including both emergency situations and normal transport.
- Communicates with parents, teachers, Bus Drivers, or administration regarding behavior issues, activities, special pickup/drop-off schedules, etc.
- Implements aspects of behavior plans as directed to assist in meeting special education students' needs and providing a consistent environment.
- Informs students of bus safety and requirements enforce rules and regulations and provide positive discipline and guidance for students.
- Lifts and repositions students and/or equipment as appropriate.
- Maintains emergency information to ensure the availability of information and/or instructions as required.
- Diffuses student behavioral situations to prevent distraction to the driver or injury to themselves or other students/passengers.
- Prepares written materials (e.g. behavior reports, medication logs, referrals, route descriptions).
- Reports observations and incidents (e.g. discipline, accidents, inappropriate social behavior, etc.) and communicates information to appropriate personnel.
- Responds to emergency situations and addresses immediate safety concerns.
- Secures students and/or equipment (e.g. wheelchairs, car seats, restraints, seat belts, etc.) to ensure the safety and welfare of students.
- Assists other personnel as may be required to ensure an efficient and effective work environment.
- Attends meetings (e.g. training, in-service, discipline meetings, conferences, etc.) to convey or receive information required to perform functions.
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
Public Health Compliance
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.