Security Administrator III
||Feb 14, 2023
||Open Until Filled
About Curry College:
Founded in 1879, Curry College is a private, four-year, liberal arts-based institution in Milton Massachusetts. In addition to the main campus classes for adult learners are also offered at our campus at Cordage Park in historic Plymouth. Curry College is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE). Curry College offers 22 undergraduate majors, over 60 minors and concentrations, as well as five graduate programs.
The Curry College mission is to educate and graduate students prepared to engage in successful careers and active citizenship with a global perspective. We are an inclusive community of diverse learners and educators, committed to continuing our legacy of developing effective communicators with reflective and critical thinking skills. We mentor and empower our students, building meaningful relationships that inspire them to achieve their ambitions.
Curry College provides rigorous and relevant academic programs to undergraduate and graduate students, and our rich blend of liberal arts and career-directed programs is enhanced by practical field experiences and co-curricular activities. Learning at Curry extends beyond the classroom and is embedded in all that we do.
Diversity and a culture of equity and inclusion among students, faculty and staff are crucial to the mission statement of Curry College.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, sex identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable state and federal law, including Title IX.
The Security Administrator III is a member of the Enterprise Infrastructure team and is responsible for implementation, support and daily administration of the College's security enterprise infrastructure. This role will drive continuous improvement and ensure confidentiality, integrity, and availability of all infrastructure. This position regularly interacts with members of the Enterprise Infrastructure, Support and Applications teams as well as customers and vendors.
This role will specialize in security administration and technologies (Firewall, SEIM, security best practices, etc.). In addition, this role will provide support for systems technologies (servers, applications, etc.) and network technologies (switching, routing, etc.). This role will also provide input into the system security processes and design process and will implement designs developed under the leadership of the Director of Enterprise Infrastructure.
The Security Administrator III is an experienced professional who has an in-depth understanding of the field and recognized expertise in specific areas; independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; possesses broad job knowledge; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions; and solves problems frequently requiring analysis of unique issues/problems without precedent and/or structure.
1. Common Responsibilities:
- Ensures a high level of confidentially, integrity, and availability of the Curry network and systems;
- Assists in the development and implementation of network, systems, and account policies;
- Collaborates with the team to troubleshoot incidents by running diagnostics, documenting problems and resolutions, prioritizing problems, and assessing the impact of issues;
- Uses ticketing system to record, classify, and resolve incidents and service requests;
- Monitors network and systems for adherence to a security baseline, and assure resource consumption is within expected tolerances;
- Manage upgrades, patches, and service releases;
- Develops scripts to assist in expediting and automating solutions;
- Design and implement safeguards to protect systems as well as research emerging threats;
- Assists with performing forensic research under direction of supervisor;
- Works with team to develop long-range operational goals for infrastructure systems;
- Assists in the development, testing and implementation of a comprehensive disaster recovery plan;
- Develops and maintains infrastructure documentation;
- Establishes and adheres to standards and processes for infrastructure integration into organizational workflows;
- Works directly with vendors in respect to the purchasing, support, and maintenance contracts;
- Collaborate with other ITS functions to assist with resolutions involving any ITS systems or support tasks;
- Establishes appropriate preventative maintenance schedules for Enterprise Infrastructure.
2. Security Focused Functions:
- Develops Identity & Access Management (IAM) policies and processes;
- Manages Firewall Policies;
- Manage security and log aggregation systems;
- Monitor for, and respond to, security incidents and threats, and communicate with stakeholders as appropriate;
- Responsible for ensuring the security of server and storage infrastructure, as well as cloud services including (but not limited to) AWS storage, Microsoft Azure and Office 365;
- Enhance the backup policies and verify the integrity of the college's backup infrastructure.
3. Systems Focuses Functions:
- Assist in the administration of server and storage infrastructure (physical & virtual);
- Installs upgrades and configures server hardware and software;
- Supports the administration of IAM systems including Microsoft 365, Azure AD, Active Directory, OpenLDAP, and internal scripts to provision accounts and access;
- Aids in the operations and reliability of various college systems, processes, and scripts.
4. Network Focused Functions:
- Performs firmware and hardware upgrades on network equipment;
- Supports campus-wide fiber network;
- Manages firewall, network switches and services on a converged network; such as data, VOIP, WiFi, security cameras, etc;
- Enterprise level network management and planning.
5. Professional Development:
- Stay abreast of up-to-date standards and best practices for infrastructure management, project management, programming / scripting, and tools through ongoing training and professional development;
- Develop community education programs for members of Curry College;
- Cross train with and mentor team members to integrate security practices into the delivery of technology resources;
- Develop personal training plans to enhance technical, analytical and business capability.
6. Customer Service:
- Promote departmental culture of exemplary customer service though frequent communication, positive relations, and prompt support.
7. Policies and Procedures:
- Maintain confidentiality and integrity of the college's network, systems, and data;
- Comply with federal and state regulations, college policies and internal procedures;
- Recommend updates to college policies and internal procedures.
- Respect and maintain confidentiality, parameters of operation, professional protocols, and individual privacy;
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor or his/her designee.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Technical Skills:
- Two or more years in a related information technology field;
- Familiarity with information security principals and vulnerability management;
- Understanding of TCP/IP networking and firewall policies;
- Experience administering identity access management in Microsoft Active Directory and Azure;
- Strong knowledge of enterprise applications and operating systems;
- Experience applying knowledge of scripting language to automate processes or analysis, especially Microsoft Powershell.
- Other Requirements of the Job:
- Strong organizational/project management skills;
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures to make recommendations for process improvements;
- Ability to present information and respond to questions from managers, end-users and staff;
- Inquisitive nature and interest in unraveling, and sorting, through a variety of information from numerous sources;
- May be required to work evenings and weekends in response to support and project issues to minimize downtime during production hours and to respond to emergencies.
- Master's degree.
- 5+ years of operating system management in a mixed Windows and Linux environment.
- 5+ years Office 365 and Azure management experience.
- 1+ years of experience with cloud systems.
- Familiarity with Fortigate firewalls, Extreme Switching, Veeam, Nagios and ElasticSearch.
- Familiarity with Redhat Enterprise Linux and other Linux environments.
- Strong familiarity with operating system diagnostics, network design, diagnosing security controls and evaluating logs for evidence or indicators of compromised systems.
- Security+, CEH or similar certification.
- Work experience in higher education with knowledge of FERPA.
Committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, Curry College will honor your experiences, perspectives and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
At the College's discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the College, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment background checks.
Inquiries about the application of Title IX can be directed to the College's Title IX Coordinator, Elizabeth Canning at firstname.lastname@example.org, (617) 979-3516, or King Academic Administration Building, 55 Atherton St, or US Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights ("OCR") - Boston Office, 5 Post Office Square, 8th Floor, Boston, MA 02109-3921, (617) 289-0111.
Please apply online at https://www.curry.edu/about-us/community-resources/employment/job-opportunities for consideration. Interested applicants must submit the following:
- a cover letter;
- a resume; and;
- a list of three professional references, one of which must be a former or current supervisor, including complete contact information and professional titles.