Mary's Center is committed to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) within our organization and the communities we serve. We embrace diversity of experiences, ideas, and individuals, and seek to bring a diverse group of candidates to the table.
Important Note: Mary's Center is mandating the COVID-19 vaccine + booster for all staff.
The Dental Hygienist is responsible for the direct delivery of oral hygiene and appropriate preventive services to dental patients of the center, both in the clinic on the Mama and Baby Bus, a mobile dental facility. The Dental Hygienist will also be responsible for providing appropriate oral health information to Mary's Center participants and staff, including outreach events.
The Dental Team at Mary's Center is currently seeking full-time, part-time and per diem Dental Hygienists at our 3 dental clinics.
This position will report directly to the Vice President of Dental Services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Assists in the oral health management of all clinic patients.
- Obtains baseline oral hygiene assessment data based upon accepted principles of oral hygiene and periodontal care.
- Records patient-hygienist transactions as they occur in the patient's dental record so that the dental record accurately and completely reflects the nature of the contact, the condition of the patient and the care or treatment provided.
- Provides oral health education and appropriate individual counseling for all center dental patients.
- Provides clinical oral hygiene services including dental prophylaxis, scaling, sealant application and fluoride application consistent with accepted professional practices and standards and in compliance with applicable state law and the center's clinical protocols. Works with Dentist to assist in coordination of care and referral for patients receiving preventive services.
- Performs independent procedures as delegated and directed by a dentist in accordance with state regulations and law as well as Oral Health Department protocol and directive.
- Assists in the maintenance of all Oral Health Department areas in compliance with department directives and policies as well as center policies and procedures relative to infection control, exposure control and safety issues.
- Receives and places necessary telephone calls consistent with professional matters, clinic business and patient care of the Oral Health Department.
- Assists with various clinical and administrative functions of the center as appropriate and time permits.
- Ensures the proper disposal of all contaminated or potentially contaminated materials in accordance with Oral Health Department directive and center policy as well as state federal regulation(s).
- Complies in full with the center's Exposure Control Plan.
- Travels when necessary to meet operational needs.
- As directed by a supervisor, performs other related and/or necessary tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives.
- Responsible for personal compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and center rules, regulations, protocols and procedures governing the practice of dental hygiene and the clinical provision of dental hygiene services as well as those relating to, but not limited to, personnel issues, workplace safety, public health and confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience - Graduation from an accredited school of dental hygiene is required. Must have unrestricted license to practice Oral Hygiene in the District of Columbia and/or Maryland and current CPR (BLS) certification for this position.
Physical Demands - Regularly required to sit; frequently required to reach with hands and arms, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk or hear; must be able to lift objects up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
Work Environment - Mostly in a typical office setting with quiet to moderate noise level. May be exposed to extreme cold, heat, and humidity due to outside weather conditions.
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental & vision insurance, plus retirement options
- 25 days of paid time off (PTO) annually, in addition to 10 paid holidays, plus 5 educational days to attend training and conferences
- 4 days per week/10 hour shifts
- CME/License renewals
- Student loan repayment program, if applicable
- $2000/year tuition reimbursement to attend training and conferences
- WMATA metro/bus subsidy
- $3,000 sign-on Bonus