SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
CAPTAIN (MARINE OPERATIONS)
- Lead all aspects of safe operation, navigation, standards and crew management of SpaceX's fleet of vessels operating in the Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico, and Caribbean Sea
- Create and sustain an environment that integrates vessel crew and recovery specialists
- Lead all planning related to: voyage planning, day-to-day offshore vessel operations, and the safety of all personnel onboard, primarily supporting recovery missions and other tasks as necessary
- Responsible for administrative reports and logbooks according to regulation and standards, and ensuring ship-wide compliance with appropriate programs and standards
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 3+ years of experience in an off-shore captain role
- Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC)/license
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Dynamic positioning unlimited certificate (DP2)
- Active/current US Coast Guard medical certificate/license
- 5+ years of experience in an off-shore captain role
- 3+ years of professional experience working in a role that deals with examinations or licensing-efforts with US Coast Guard (USCG) and/or American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) regulations
- Knowledge of vessel management systems, safety management systems, and regulatory programs such as OPA 90, MARPOL, ABS, etc.
- Willing to work outdoors and in maritime environments, and able to work flexible hours during mission support periods
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral
- Position requires a Merchant Mariner credential, which includes pre-employment and random drug testing in accordance with 46 CFR 16 and 49 CFR 40
- Must be willing to travel to other SpaceX locations as necessary; role may require travel
- 50-hour work week is typical, and may vary depending on site operational needs, flexibility is required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Marine Operations - Captain, Bob/Doug: $36,000.00 annual salary + $930.00 per day worked
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR .
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.