Senior Event Planning Manager
Cooley is seeking a Senior Event Planning Manager to join the Marketing & Business Development team.
Position summary: The Senior Marketing Events Manager will guide the global marketing events team, managing all tools, policies and procedures for the function. Manage all aspects of external events as well as select internal events, from planning and development to execution and post-event follow-up, in collaboration with the marketing team, lawyers and other support departments. In addition, the Senior Marketing Events Manager will manage and oversee daily administrative operations of the direct reports. Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Event planning and management:
- Manage marketing events team workload for assigned region; assign event leadership for all new requests entered through Salesforce campaigns
- Run biweekly marketing events team calls
- Serve as the primary liaison to IS for all events software
- Collaborate with the Associate Director on the firmwide partner meeting and other internal leadership events
- Plan, organize and implement marketing events hosted and/or sponsored by Cooley, ensuring exceptional attendee experiences and maximum ROI
- Serve as the primary point of contact leading each assigned event
- Manage virtual events using Zoom
- Represent Cooley on-site at events, as necessary
- Collaborate with Marketing and Business Development team members on event strategy/goals and materials
- Determine creative, cost-effective approaches for all events and provide detailed implementation proposals to marketing team members or attorneys
- Research all aspects of events (venues, timing, housing, catering, transportation, registration, entertainment, decoration, billing, communications/invitations, RSVPs, room blocks, name badges, food and beverage, room set-up, speakers, AV, production and handouts, off-site activities, giveaways, shipping, branding, etc.) according to internal client needs, including price comparison and site inspections
- Research and solicit proposals and conduct site visits and inspections of potential event properties, including hotels and resorts, restaurants, bar/lounges, and special event spaces. Prepares visual presentations and/or cost-comparison spreadsheets of venue recommendations, as requested
- Negotiate contracts for venues, caterers, and other vendors and suppliers, working closely with the firm's internal contract review team to ensure compliance
- Conduct post-event evaluations, including client and participant satisfaction and ROI
- Create and manage budgets of varying sizes, tracking and demonstrating ROI
- Work in collaboration with various Cooley departments (i.e., IS, Facilities, Catering) to execute events
- Establish event design and staging (i.e., media needs, lighting, audio-visual) and event agenda (i.e., speaker order, breaks, meals) as well as shipping of event materials if off-site
- Use Salesforce to run reports, manage lists, and track RSVPs, attendance, follow-up, etc.
- Provide planning and RSVP updates, Salesforce "who-knows-whom" reports and identify appropriate event follow-up activities to maximize business development potential
- Develop and manage event timelines, communicating deadlines and assignments to marketing staff and consultants, as necessary
- Work with in-house design staff to develop creative and compelling event themes
- Work with in-house communications team to develop social media and PR/press plans to leverage and promote relevant events
- Utilize data from past events to enact changes to improve future results
- Build and maintain an international network of other event planners and third-party resources
- Manage relationships with trade organizations, conference organizers and other third-party partners Function as main point of contact between Cooley and these relationships
- Ensure relevant events are posted to the firm's website, internal calendar, etc.
- Implement best practices, policies and workflow procedures to ensure the efficient and effective execution of all events
- Work with in-house digital marketing team to build and send invitations and other collateral in firm's email marketing system (Pardot). Run reports, track distribution, etc.
- Manage and assign tasks to on-site staff, which may include other members of the marketing department, other Cooley staff, or vendors/consultants
- Work with organizations that approve CLE, CDP, and other professional education credits for course accreditation
- Serve as direct supervisor and mentor to direct reports
- Provide day-to-day supervision of direct reports, ensure compliance with assigned work hours and monitor for compliance with all firm and department policies. Manage staffing coverage, review and process time logs/time off requests
- Support staff development and continued educational opportunities
- In collaboration with immediate supervisor and CN HR, participate in hiring, performance appraisals, counseling, termination and other employee lifecycle events
- All other duties as assigned or required
Skills and experience
- 7+ years' direct applicable exempt work experience (e.g., event management), at least 4 of which include management experience in the applicable field, along with the proven ability to operate at an elevated level in terms of scope of responsibility, judgement, and autonomy
- Experience running virtual events; highly proficient in Zoom
- Ability to work extended and/or weekend hours, as required
- Ability to travel, as required
- Bachelor's degree with preference of business, communication, marketing or related field
- Experience in planning multiple high-level, logistically complicated events simultaneously
- Experience with vendor contract negotiations, particularly hotels and catering
- Familiarity with legal services provided by a full-service corporate law firm and needs/expectations of their clients
- Supervisory experience
- Highly capable and able to work closely and collaboratively within a team
- Excellent verbal/written/interpersonal communication skills in various situations (small/large group, one-on-one)
- Ability to work well with others and develop professional relationships with department members, attorneys and vendors to inspire their trust and confidence
- Self-motivator with high energy level and enthusiasm towards activities and goals
- Ability to work well under pressure within a deadline-driven environment
- Excellent organizational skills & detail-oriented while multi-tasking
Cooley offers a competitive compensation and excellent benefits package. EOE.
Pursuant to the salary transparency provisions of the New York City Human Rights Law (NYCHRL), please find the compensation range specific to this role if based in New York.
- New York pay range for this role, with final offer amount dependent on skillset and experience: $135,000 to $165,000 annually.
The salary range in other markets will vary.