WHAT ARE THE APPEALS (AP), LARGE BUSINESS AND INTERNATIONAL (LB&I), SMALL BUSINESS SELF-EMPLOYED (SB/SE) AND TAX EXEMPT AND GOVERNMENT ENTITIES (TE/GE) DIVISIONS?
A description of the business units can be found at:
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Serves as a technical expert in examinations of significant tax compliance issues and provides expert advice that may impact tax compliance strategy and the examination program as a whole.
- Serves as a technical expert in the performance of tax computations in cases with significant tax compliance issues and provides expert advice that may impact tax compliance strategy and the Appeals program as a whole. Cases typically concern large, complex businesses, including those with extensive subsidiaries, diversified activities, multiple partners and national and international scope of operations.
- Serves as an issue expert in the examination of LB&I returns. Exercises significant authority and responsibility in planning, directing, and coordinating the examination of certain significant complex issues.
- As a technical expert on SB/SE and LB&I program guidelines and policies, interprets, develops, adapts, and coordinates analytical reviews of new policies, procedures, and program requirements of the Service and their impact on the Compliance operations and resources. Advises and negotiates acceptance of conflicting issues with management in the formulation of Compliance policies. Applies and disseminates newly developed or revised policies and procedures for use in field operations.
- Serves as a technical expert on significant issues relative to the Exempt Organizations specialty. Provides technical guidance on examination and determination of exempt status activity relative to exempt organizations including private foundations, cooperatives, and relevant business entities. The incumbent provides expert advice that potentially impacts the organization's overall tax compliance strategy and the Exempt Organization Examination and Rulings and Agreement programs.
- Serves as a lead for other revenue agents and specialists assigned to an examination and counsel attorneys. Leads the team in conferences with appeals, including issue resolution meetings such as fast track. May be assigned to multiple examinations simultaneously.
- Leads national analysis of tax computational issues involving significant tax transactions related to specific taxpayers or across taxpayer, industry and international boundaries. May plan, implement, control, modify and execute all or parts of a national Project or assignment associated with certain tax computational areas of specialization.
Conditions of Employment
- Telework Eligible Positions: Telework eligible positions do not guarantee telework. Employees must meet and sustain IRS telework eligibility requirements (e.g., reporting at least twice a pay period to your assigned Post of Duty (POD)) and supervisor's approval to participate in the IRS Telework Program. Employees must also be within a 200-mile radius of their official assigned post-of-duty (POD) while in a telework status. As a reminder - If you are selected for a position, you are responsible for reporting to your designated POD (location) on the negotiated start date or as directed by management.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National and provide proof of U.S. Citizenship. (Birth certificate showing birth in the U.S; Unexpired U.S. Passport; Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization; or Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen (Form FS-240))
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, including a FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
A Certificate as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or a bachelor's or higher degree in accounting that included at least 30 semester hours in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and an additional 6 semester hours in related subjects such as business law, economics, statistical/quantitative methods, computerized accounting or financial systems, financial management, or finance.
A bachelor's or higher degree in a field other than accounting or a combination of education and experience equivalent to 4 years that included at least 30 semester hours in accounting or 24 semester hours in accounting and 6 semester hours in related subjects as described above.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE GS-14: You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position must include:
- Experience in applying professional accounting principles, concepts and methodology in the examination of accounting books, records and systems; and
- Knowledge of business and trade practices to analyze business operations and financial conditions; and
- Experience in interacting effectively in a wide range of situations with a broad range of individuals; and
- Experience in interpreting and applying tax law for at least one of the following specialties: individuals; business; employee plans or retirement plans; exempt organizations; tax advantaged municipal finance transactions or tax exempt bonds; Indian Tribal Governments and Employment Tax issues for Federal State and Local governments; Large complex business transactions and returns pertaining to the application of tax principles, policies, legal decisions for business taxpayers' international and transfer pricing issues.
For more information on qualifications please refer to .
For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to .
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Click for Foreign Education Credentialing instructions.
- A 1-year probationary period is required.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Additional jobs may be filled.
- Vacancies within this announcement include bargaining and non-bargaining positions.
- Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday, Dayshift.
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
- A recruitment incentive may be authorized for eligible, highly qualified applicants. If authorized,a service agreement will be provided to new employees prior to entrance on duty. This monetary incentive will be disbursed as outlined in the service agreement.
- Relocation expenses: No
- Some vacancies within this announcement will require the applicant to submit a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually from then on.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- If this position is designated as hard to fill and you were referred by an IRS employee, the employee may be eligible to receive a bonus for referring you under The Employee Referral Bonus Program (ERBP), recruiting strategy.
Though many locations may be listed,
you will be limited to a maximum of 5 location choices
. Please consider each location carefully when applying. If you are selected for a position at one of your location selections, that location will become your official post of duty.
This is an open continuous announcement which allows applicants to apply up to the closing date of the announcement, 12/07/2023
This announcement will establish an inventory of applicants. Contingent upon funding and space requirements, one or more vacancies may be filled at the locations listed in this announcement as they come available.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. .
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. All application materials, including transcripts, must be in English.
Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you will not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Education - See Education Section above
- Registration/License (If Applicable) - active, current registration/license
- Military Spouses (If Applicable) - You MUST submit verification of the marriage to the service member(i.e., a marriage license or other legal documentation verifying marriage) AND (1) a copy of your spouse's active military orders; OR (2) verification of your spouse's 100% service-connected disability (e.g., VA Letter and/or DD-214); OR (3) verification of the service member's death while on active duty (DD-1300/Death Certificate). You are not eligible if you were not married to the veteran at the time of death or have since remarried.
- Current and Former Federal Employees Documentation (If Applicable) - You MUST submit a copy of your most recent SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) or equivalent personnel action form which shows your current grade and competitive service status. (The "position occupied" block on the SF-50 reflects "1" and your "tenure" block reflects "1" or "2".) If you are applying for a higher grade, it is recommended to provide an SF-50(s) (or equivalent) which clearly demonstrates you meet the 52-week time-in-grade requirement (e.g., Promotion with an effective date more than one (1) year old, Within-Grade-Increase at the highest grade held).
- High School Diploma (or equivalent) - If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you MUST submit documentation of graduation from high school (or equivalent); OR completion of a formal vocational training program; OR statement from school authorities agreeing with your decision to pursue employment rather than continuing your education.
How to Apply
This Direct Hire Public Notice is to gather applications that may or may not result in a referral or selection. Your application will remain active through the open period of this Public Notice. Applicants will be referred on a first in, first out basis. Those applicants who are applying earlier in the process will stand a much better chance of being referred for consideration in the selection process.
The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on 12/07/2023 in this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. ET, Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us by noon ET on 12/07/2023.
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link:
- To begin the application process, click the "Apply Online" button.
- You will be re-directed to USA STAFFING to complete your application process; answer the online questions and submit all required documents. (To submit supporting documents, import documents from USAJOBS to the appropriate document types. If the document you need was not imported from USAJOBS, you may upload it directly into this application. To protect your privacy, we suggest you first remove your SSN).
- To complete, you must click the "Submit Application" button prior to 11:59 PM (ET) on 12/07/2023.
To update your application, including supporting documentation, at any time during the announcement open period, return to your USAJOBS account (). There you will find a record of your application, the application status, and an option to Update Application. This option will no longer be available once the announcement has closed.
To verify the status of your application both during and after the announcement open period, log into your USAJOBS account: . All of your applications will appear on the
page. The application record in your USAJOBS account provides an
Additional Application Information
page that provides information regarding the documentation you submitted and any correspondence we have sent related to this application. The
will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each
means, visit: .
Agency contact information
IRS Philadelphia External
AP - Appeals
1111 Constitution Ave NW
Washington, DC 20224
Treasury believes in a working environment that supports inclusion; please view our reasonable accommodation policies and procedures at . We will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis; please contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
Once your application package and online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email. You are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you. You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS "My Account" tab and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your application status, you may click on "more information." Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. If your email mailbox is full or blocked (SPAM) you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is set up to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.