Lawrence Berkeley National Lab's (LBNL) Climate & Ecosystems Division has an opening for a Geological Postdoctoral Fellow to join the team.
In this exciting role, you will conduct research using genomic and physiology-based tools to deeply characterize metabolically interesting microbes and microbial communities from subsurface groundwater and sediment. You will work in collaboration with a larger team focused on understanding microbial community assembly and function.
What You Will Do:
- Handling and analyzing environmental sediment and groundwater samples for sequencing-based, geochemical and metabolic activity analysis
- Routinely culture, initiate enrichments under aerobic and anaerobic conditions
- Sequence and assemble bacterial genomes and add these data to public repositories
- Analyze sequencing datasets to molecularly dissect conserved and novel pathways of interest in enrichments and isolates
- Work collaboratively with a larger team of postdocs and scientists.
What is Required:
- Recent Ph.D. in environmental microbiology, molecular biology, or a related field.
- Strong background in working with aerobic and anaerobic bacteria.
- Experience in working with environmental samples
- Ability to conceptualize, design, and execute novel experiments and protocols using environmental microbiology, molecular biology and analytical chemistry techniques.
- Ability to collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of scientists on a large project at all stages and specifically for linking diverse datasets.
- Experience analyzing large datasets
- Excellent communication skills
- Participate and present in group meetings, larger team meetings and seminars.
- Prepare results for publication in scientific journals and for oral/poster presentations, assist in grant writing, and ability to write peer reviewed articles with limited supervision.
- Enhance LBNL's reputation in the use of cutting-edge biology applications in environmental microbiology by forming strategic collaborations with other National Lab researchers and/or University PIs.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed scientific notebook and electronic documentation of all experiments performed. Ensure that others could duplicate results.
- Working knowledge of R package
- Analysis of next-generation sequencing data
- Genetic manipulation of bacteria, including targeted gene deletion
- Knowledge of stable isotope probing techniques
Want to learn more about Berkeley Lab's Culture, Benefits and answers to FAQs? Please visit: https://recruiting.lbl.gov/
- This is a full-time, 2 years, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
- The monthly salary range for this position is $5,000.00 - $7,010.00 and is expected to start at $6,476.00 or above. Postdoctoral positions are paid on a step schedule per union contract and salaries will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates. Each step represents one full year of completed post-Ph.D. postdoctoral and/or related research experience.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof that vaccination requirements have been met or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.