Back to search results
Clinical Veterinarian - Animal Lab, Westwood
| University of California - Los Angeles Health|
United States, California, Los Angeles
|December 03, 2023|
Description Take on an important role within a world-class health organization. Support the discovery of exciting medical breakthroughs while ensuring the humane care of animals. Take your career to the next level. You can do all this and more at UCLA Health.
We're looking to you to play a vital role in establishing and implementing the Chancellor's Animal Care & Use Program. This will involve providing exemplary, compassionate veterinary medical services while also offering expert clinical supervision, consultation, and training to research investigators, technicians, and animal husbandry staff. You will evaluate and treat animals housed at UCLA by DLAM. In all you do, you will ensure all activities adhere to our comprehensive animal use protocols. You will also provide assessments to our Animal Care and Use Committee.
We're seeking a self-motivated, veterinary professional with:
* Board eligibility or working toward board eligibility by the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine
* Expertise in veterinary medicine or laboratory animal medicine
* Ability to diagnose diseases in laboratory animals
* Proficiency in necropsies, surgery, and therapeutic treatment on animals
* In-depth knowledge of pre- and post-surgical care of laboratory animals
* Familiarity with the Animal Welfare Act and the Policy on Humane Care (PHS)
* Excellent communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills
UCLA Health is a world-renowned health system with four award-winning hospitals and more than 250 community clinics throughout metro Los Angeles, as well as the David Geffen School of Medicine. Through the efforts of our outstanding people, we have become Los Angeles' trusted provider of exceptional, compassionate patient care. If you're looking to experience greater challenge and fulfillment in your career, you can at UCLA Health.
Salary range: $7,732 - $15,299/month
* Ability to communicate effectively on a group presentation and/or hands-on to train research technicians and husbandry staff.
* Detailed knowledge in the practice of veterinary medicine focused on laboratory animal medicine. Ability to identify clinical symptoms, diagnosis of medical conditions, and provide appropriate veterinary medical treatment in a variety of laboratory animal species.
* Must be board certified, board eligible or working toward board eligibility by the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine.
* Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with technical staff,
management, and faculty researchers and their staff.* Ability to communicate on a one-on-one basis as an aid to the diagnosis of disease problems, and ability to seek out proper veterinary medical treatment.
* Ability to work collaboratively with DLAM training team to coordinate, deliver and verify training of DLAM employees.
* Ability to communicate with researchers, technicians, and lab personnel.
* Interpersonal skills sufficient to diplomatically interact to resolve conflicts which occur when Laboratory Animal policies and procedures are violated.
* Detailed knowledge of federal, state and institutional regulations governs the use and care of laboratory animals.
* Detailed knowledge of the PHS Policy.
* Detailed knowledge of husbandry of laboratory animals including but not limited to birds, cats, chinchillas, dogs, guinea pigs, fish, mice, pigs, primates, rabbits, rats and bovine.
* Detailed knowledge of general surgical procedures as well as analgesia and anesthesia on the above animals.
* Skill in performing surgery on laboratory animals.
* Skill in performing necropsies on laboratory animals.
* Skill in therapeutic treatment of various laboratory animals
* Skill in the diagnosis of disease in laboratory animals.
* Detailed knowledge of pre- and post-surgical care of laboratory animals.
* Experience reviewing IACUC protocols, specifically the sections pertaining to animal care, analgesia, anesthesia, surgical and on-surgical procedures and euthanasia in a variety of laboratory animal species.
* General knowledge of university personnel policies.
* Skill in writing reports and correspondence.