Founded by a small group of educators, Michigan Schools & Government Credit Union (MSGCU) has been providing quality financial services to the community for more than 67 years and welcomes everyone in Michigan to bank with us. We are financial champions committed to helping our members achieve financial success by rallying behind them and their goals. As the sixth largest Credit Union in Michigan, MSGCU has 19 branch offices in southeast Michigan...soon to be 20! We have over 400 team members, more than 140,000 members, $3.3 billion in assets, and a 95% member satisfaction rating for two decades. We are a caring organization that strives to ensure an equitable and inclusive culture where everyone is valued and respected. Our dedication to team member engagement has contributed to the honor of being named a Top Workplace by The Detroit Free Press ten years in a row.
If you have a passion for helping people and providing exceptional and dependable service, we want you on our team!
Overview of Responsibilities: Participates in MSGCU's Branch Sales Manager LEAP (Learn, Engage, Apply, Perform) Program to gain exposure to functional areas within MSCGU, learn and perform key functions within the branch and for member service, experience leadership development opportunities, and develop leadership skills to lead a branch team and support organizational growth.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops a well-rounded understanding of MSGCU, the credit union industry, business acumen, and leadership fundamentals through active participation in formal classroom training, mentoring, on-the-job training, and rotational learning; and demonstrates application through job assignments.
- Exceeds member service expectations and builds trusting relationships with members by being the financial expert and displaying a sincere interest in the member and their financial success.
- Uses a consultative approach when serving members, asking high impact questions to identify and meet member needs, both perceived and unperceived. Listens for member cues and uses in depth knowledge of our products and services in order to cross sell and offers solutions for member needs by focusing on the benefits and value to the member.
- Participates in daily operations of the Retail branch office, including cash handling responsibilities, team member scheduling, member service expectations, and other operational activities.
- Supports achievement of Retail branch sales and member experience goals.
- Completes required program documents and milestones and participates in ongoing feedback and self-development opportunities.
- Develops critical thinking for decision making through learning and application of relevant data and information.
- Learns and performs a variety of MSGCU individual contributor roles within the organization in order to gain a broad understanding of MSGCU operations and applies learnings in job assignments.
- Engages in rotational assignments within MSGCU; areas of emphasis to include Consumer Lending, Call Center, Mortgage Lending, Branch Operations, Accounting, and more.
- Follows MSGCU's service standards to complete responsibilities with focus and understanding in order to ensure accuracy.
- Progressively develops operational and leadership skills and applies these skills to decision making, critical thinking, member service, team member interactions and leadership opportunities.
- Learns, understands, and follows MSGCU policies, procedures, and guidelines.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Member Focus: Builds strong member relationships (internal/external) by using effective listening skills to gain insight into others' needs and identifying opportunities to benefit the member and efficiently resolve problems. Behavior consistently demonstrates engagement with members and team members and commitment to MSGCU initiatives in support of our mission and values.
- Decision Quality: Uses sound rationale, available data, and relevant or important factors to make effective and timely decisions that are aligned with the organization's focus and direction.
- Action Oriented: Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency and enthusiasm. Completes responsibilities with a high level of excellence, professionalism, efficiency, accuracy, and responsibility for outcomes.
- Ensures Accountability: Holds self accountable by following through on commitments and taking personal responsibility for learning, decisions, and actions.
- Collaborates: Works cooperatively with others across the organization, building relationships across teams in order to achieve shared objectives, develop teamwork, and deliver high quality member service.
- Interpersonal Savvy: Relates openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people and promotes a team environment that values and leverages differences appropriately. Assimilates with ease into diverse teams in order to effectively learn from and lead others.
- Communicates Effectively: Actively listens, provides timely information, shares, and participates in discussions. Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Instills Trust: Builds relationships and gains the confidence of others by modeling honesty, integrity, authenticity, and behaviors that align with organizational values. Exemplifies courage by stepping up to address difficult issues.
- Self-Development: Actively seeks new ways to grow and be challenged using formal and informal development channels and learns through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both success and failure as learning fodder.
- Being Resilient: Operates effectively even when the way forward is not clear and rebounds from setbacks when facing difficult situations.
Essential Preparation and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, or related field, or 5 years of equivalent education and relevant work experience. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Office and branch location environment with little discomfort from noise, extreme temperature, dust, or other factors.
- Required to travel throughout MSGCU's service area.
- Exposed to potentially hazardous conditions, such as robbery. Receives detailed instructions and security procedures on an annual basis to minimize risk.
- This work involves sitting most of the time with brief periods of walking or standing and may occasionally require lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds.