The Division of Colorectal Surgery Physician Assistant (PA) assists the team in all aspects of patient care of general colorectal surgery. This position involves practice in every setting of care delivery including the emergency department setting, inpatient ward, perioperative arena, outpatient clinic and operating room. Surgical assistance in the operating room is expected on an occasional, as-needed basis. Provides care to a diverse population. Applies knowledge, experience and judgment to determine the importance of a situation, set priorities, and use abstract thought to evaluate clinical situations. Participates in patient and staff education. On-call duties may be required on an occasional, as-needed basis. This position will work approximately 50% in-patient and 50% out-patient.
Apply By Date: October 31, 2023
- This position will be considering application as they apply, until filled.
- One year or greater experience as a hospital-based PA required.
- At least 4 years' experience in an outpatient surgical setting.
- Graduation with a master's degree, or PhD from an accredited Physician Assistant Program
- Active and clear California Licensed Physician Assistant (PA)
- Current AHA BLS/CPR Certification
- National certification as a Physician Assistant (NCCPA)
- DEA Certificate within three months of hire
- At least 4 years experience in an outpatient surgical setting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Judgment skills to effectively meet the needs of patients
- Self-direction and organizational skills to function in an independent role
- Ability to cope with personal stress experienced by team members, other professionals, and caretakers
- Applicants are encouraged to upload license and certification if required of the position.
- The Department of Surgery encompasses a wide variety of surgical specialties. These include bariatric surgery, burn surgery, colorectal surgery, cardiothoracic surgery, gastrointestinal surgery, hepatobiliary surgery, endocrine surgery, pediatric surgery, plastic surgery, transplant surgery, trauma, acute care and surgical critical care surgery, vascular surgery, and oncologic surgery. The Department's extensive surgical expertise, in combination with ongoing teaching and research activities, provide ample resources and advanced surgical techniques for patient care.
- Salary or Pay Range: $77.29 - $101.99
- Salary Frequency: Hourly
- Salary Grade: 138
- Payroll Title: PHYSCN AST
- Number of Positions: 1
- Appointment Type: Career
- Percentage of Time: 100%
- Shift Hours: 10 Hour - Variable Shifts
- Location: Main Hospital, Sacramento
- Union Representation: Yes
- Benefits Eligible: Yes
- Hybrid/Remote/On-Site: On-Site
Outstanding benefits and perks are among the many rewards of working for the University of California. UC Davis Health offers a full range of benefits, resources and programs to help you bring your best self to work, as well as to help you and your family achieve your health, wellness, financial and career goals. Learn more about the benefits below and eligibility rules by visiting our handy and our
- If you are represented by a union, benefits are negotiated between the University of California (UC) and your union and finalized in a contract. Read your bargaining unit's employment contract, stay abreast of current negotiations and learn about collective bargaining at UC:
- High quality and low-cost medical plans to choose from to fit your family's needs
- UC pays for Dental and Vision insurance premiums for you and your family
- Extensive leave benefits including Maternity, Paternity, Family & Medical Leave
- Paid Holidays annually as stipulated in the UC Davis Health Policies or Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Paid Time Off/Vacation/Sick Time as stipulated in the UC Davis Health Policies or Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Paid time off for professional development as stipulated in the UC Davis Health Policies or Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Continuing Education (CE) allowance and Education Reimbursement Program as stipulated in the UC Davis Health Policies or Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Access to free professional development courses and learning opportunities for personal and professional growth
- Wellness and on-site Employee Assistance Program including access to free mental health services
- Supplemental insurance offered including additional life, disability, short/long term disability, pet insurance and legal coverage
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSFL) Qualified Employer & Student Loan Repayment Assistant for qualified roles
- Retirement benefit options for eligible roles including Pension and other Retirement Saving Plans. More information on our retirement benefits can be found
- UC Davis cares about building a community, which is why we provide resources to enhance as well as (ERGs) to support our staff
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Able to lift 25 pounds and assist in moving patients.
- Working knowledge of HIPPA regulations
- Knowledge of medical billing procedures and policies.
- Ability to meet minimum standards for hospital credentialing and billing standards as a billable provider
- Must be able to work occasional overtime
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Must be able to stand for extended periods.
- Ability to gather data; possession of computer skills; knowledge of research methods.
- Knowledge of medications, indications, dosage ranges, side effects, and potential toxicity.
- Ability to learn to assist in operations, performing tasks under direct supervision of the attending surgeon.
- Must see well enough to read gauges and identify injuries
- This position may be subject to a criminal background investigation, drug screen, Live Scan fingerprinting, medical evaluation clearance, and functional capacity assessment
- The University of California has implemented a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination Policy (ucop.edu) covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, employees must submit proof of vaccination or a University-approved exception or deferral.
- This position is a critical position and subject to a background check and drug screen. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history, identity checks and drug screen.
- As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California , as may be amended or revised from time to time. Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
At UC Davis, we're solving life's most urgent challenges to bring a fuller, healthier, and more resilient world within reach. We grow from every challenge we take on and we don't just maintain - we improve. We recognize that creating an inclusive and intellectually vibrant organization means understanding and valuing both our individual differences and our common ground. The most comprehensive solutions come from the most diverse minds, and you belong here.
As you consider joining UC Davis, please explore our , our and for research and education, and our latest efforts to . The advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Because we want you to be seen, our recruiting process at UC Davis fosters authenticity, diversity, and inclusion. Studies have shown that some people may not apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. Each unique role at UC Davis has a set of requirements and you could be perfect for this role, or you could be perfect for the next role! Don't meet all the requirements? We still encourage you to apply! #YouBelongHere