Laboratory Analysis Specialist (16115)
Date: Oct 8, 2023
Chattanooga, TN, US, 37146
Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
The Volkswagen Group is one of the world's largest producers of passenger cars and Europe's largest automaker and is on the road to number one. Come join our team and you could be part of that ride. For our employees, Volkswagen stands for more than just efficient and sustainable products - it's an expression of who they are and how they move through life. Become a part of the Volkswagen of America experience and work with people who are passionate, innovative, enthusiastic, and high performing team players. Everyone deserves a better car and everyone deserves a better company - it's a Volkswagen thing.
VW. Two letters. Endless opportunities.
- Material Testing of metal or polymeric parts and assemblies (Initial Sampling)
- Failure Analysis
- Planning and execution of laboratory activities to analyze and eliminate material-related problems with vehicle parts and material-related problems in the manufacturing process
- Tests, evaluation and release of components according to material specs for vehicle parts
- Assure VW quality level at material evaluations and releases
- Analyze and work out measures to eliminate material-related problems of vehicle parts
- Assure the correct receiving of the samples, apply correct test procedures in VW and related laboratories (suppliers, universities and other institutes)
- Interpretation and validation of laboratory test results
- Part Responsible for commodity specific parts
- Planning and implementing part related laboratory tests
- Release Main Laboratory Reports within four weeks
- Release Sub Reports Laboratory Reports within two weeks
- Release Failure Analysis within four weeks
- Tracking of Material Improvements of Suppliers within Part Responsibility
- Tracking and communicating of all Laboratory results
- Harmonize corrective measures with different departments
- Recommending corrective measures to fulfill quality standards
- Lead material testing process with outside laboratories (other VW and external laboratories)
- Development of local suppliers for raw materials or vehicle parts
- Maximize Raw Material Localization of Sheet Steel or Polymeric Raw Materials
- Evaluate local raw material against VW specs.
- Consultation of technical engineering department concerning the applicability of local raw materials and their specifications
- Close communication with raw material localization team in Germany, active internet research and participation / attendance at Raw Material Fairs
- Compare German, American and other international material standards to choose the right material for VW vehicle parts applications
- Support related areas (purchasing, QA purchased parts, engineering, suppliers) to apply the best material (costs/benefit) in VW vehicle parts
- Communication of Laboratory results to raw material suppliers if available and defining action and timing for optimization
- Responsible for Laboratory Devices including but not limited to:
- Up to date documentation according to audit requirements
- 5+ years of experience in material development and/or material tests in laboratories; and 3 years of experience in Automotive industry
- 4 year degree or comparable background of work related experience preferred; Mechanical engineer, Chemical engineer, engineer in material sciences
- Material know-how in processing of polymeric or metallic materials
- Understanding of influences to material properties
- Evaluation of microstructures
- Defining appropriate / suitable materials for testing based upon part requirements, e.g., corrosion / weathering properties
- Advanced degree
- German or Spanish fluent
This role description is a guideline and does not create contractual rights between the Company and any of its employees. The Company does not enter into any type of employment contract, implied or written, with its employees regarding job security.
This Organization Participates in E-Verify. We maintain a drug free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Nearest Major Market: Nashville
Laboratory, Internet Research, Chemical Research, Chemical Engineer, Bilingual, Science, Research, Engineering