Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve. Join the UNC Health Team as a Nuclear Med Tech!
This Position performs and teaches diagnostic procedures in the field of Nuclear Medicine. Specifically, this position administers radiopharmaceuticals, operates highly technical instruments, and analyzes the acquired data. The Nuclear Medicine Technologist works under the direct supervision of the Nuclear Medicine Supervisor and takes direction as well from the Nuclear Medicine physicians.
1. Administration & Record of Radiopharmaceutical: Identifies each patient, confirms date of birth, hospital number and identification. Achieves venous access and administers radiopharmaceutical. Records route of administration, dose and technologist's initials.
2. Describes exam to patient, obtains informed consent, completes necessary paperwork for study input of patient information into radiology management system for record keeping and charge generation.
3. Evaluates requisition, chart, and lab results. Performs patient assessment. Identifies patient. Confirms females of childbearing age are not pregnant. Arranges for pregnancy testing upon orders from the Nuclear Medicine physician.
4. May performs advanced duties such as found in Positron Emission Technology (PET) imaging and/or lead technologist role
5. Radiopharmaceutical Handling ? receipt of radiopharmaceuticals, proper documentation and proper disposal. Follows guidelines set up by Radiation Safety Office and NRC
6. Radiopharmaceutical selection, dosage and quality control review, assuring each dose to be administered is correct for the ordered procedure, correct activity, acceptable quality control, and properly recorded in the dose records
7. Set up acquisition and performs according to protocol, maintains patient comfort, care, and safety. Analyzes images and evaluates for correctness. Processes films and submits to physician for approval.
8. Uses RIS, CIS, SMS and PACS to generate proper documentation.. Completes all RIS orders with the appropriate and accurate charges added. Uses transport tracking system to arrange transportation of inpatients to and from NM department.
* Graduation from an accredited Nuclear Medicine Technology program.
* Registered as a Nuclear Medicine Technologist by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) or the Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board (NMTCB) or registry eligible and become registered within one (1) year from date of hire. Must maintain registry status and continuing education requirements annually.
* Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
* No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: NCHEALTH
Entity: Johnston Health
Organization Unit: NucMed-PET
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 4.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Smithfield
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
Salary Range: $29.98 - $37.48 per hour (minimum to midpoint)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity.
This position is employed by NC Health (Rex Healthcare, Inc., d/b/a NC Health), a private, fully-owned subsidiary of UNC Heath Care System. This is not a State employed position.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.