The Paralegal - Bankruptcy will assist the restructuring attorneys in all phases of the restructuring and bankruptcy processes for clients including US Bankruptcy Court processes and procedures and litigation. Independently manage day-to-day workload while working under the general supervision of assigned attorneys.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Follow the ethical requirements as set forth by the Rules of Professional Conduct of the State.
- Research Local and Federal Bankruptcy Rules, as well as administrative orders, to assure that filings are in proper form and order.
- Prepare correspondence and external written communication and preparation of basic Motions, Notices, Certifications of Service, Notices of Appearance and Proofs of Claim.
- Assist with preparation of Fee Applications, including performing calculations of hours and disbursements and organization of monthly billing statements as exhibits.
- Assist with drafting of debtor's petition, schedules and statement of financial affairs, 20 largest unsecured creditors, equity holders and related first day filings.
- Draft pro hac vice for attorneys not admitted to the bar in the state of the court proceedings.
- Research case information through PACER system.
- Daily monitoring of case dockets for hearing dates, response dates, deadlines, etc., and maintain case calendars for attorneys.
- Conduct e-filing of pleadings with US Bankruptcy and US District Courts.
- Maintain large bankruptcy case files (electronic and paper), including organization and maintenance of service lists.
- Assist with fact gathering for preparation and filing of new Chapter 11 or Chapter 7 cases.
- Ability to search and interpret UCC search results (including bankruptcy, judgment and lien searches).
- Research debtor's company background to identify officers, directors, major creditors and major litigation.
- Assist with litigation financing clients and drafting documentation related to same.
- Review cite form in pleadings for completeness and accuracy in accordance with the Blue Book.
- Assist with drafting basic pleadings, including discovery, in connection with various adversary matters.
- Communicate with clients, government agencies or officials, consultants and various other parties on a regular basis to collect and assemble information, communicate findings to attorneys.
- Record daily time entries in accordance with Firm policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum 10 + years of bankruptcy and litigation paralegal experience in a Law Firm or professional environment is required.
- Ability to learn and embrace new skills and best practices as the position evolves and Firm needs change.
- Ability to develop relationships and foster teamwork at all levels of the Firm.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a diverse group of internal and external clients, attorneys, and staff.
- Ability to manage confidential information and sensitive situations with tact and discretion.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Reliability, flexibility, and adaptability in a team and service-oriented environment.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and multi-task in a time-sensitive environment while maintaining the highest standards of work quality.
- Ability to produce quality work in a fast-paced dynamic environment, including prioritizing numerous tasks and completing them under time constraints.
- Ability to identify and accomplish long and short-term goals, projects, and activities.
- Broad knowledge of Microsoft applications.
Problem Solving Skills:
- Ability and confidence to identify and analyze issues, make decisions, and initiate actions/solutions.
- Agility to be able to respond to unexpected challenges, including proactively developing innovative solutions to complex problems while maintaining a professional demeanor.
- Ability to maintain composure and demonstrate good judgment.
- Flexibility to work overtime as needed.
We value diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vets/Disabled (EOE=Equal Opportunity Employer) #LI-DC2
New York based applicants please click the following link: