The Principal Access Representative is directly responsible for the following activities related to the completion of registration, insurance eligibility, benefit, and authorizations, securing sponsorship and completion of applications for County, State, and Federal funding programs successfully.
Activities required in this position are reception, registration, insurance verification, payor notification, authorization verification, securing sponsorship, education patients or family members on various programs (Medi-Cal, Medicare, County Medically Indigent Services, Victims of Violent Crime and other financial assistance linkages), completing applications for assistance programs, making appropriate referrals and notifications, collecting payments, co-pays, and deductibles, and assuring all avenues of reimbursement or assistance are pursued to guarantee payment for uninsurance/under insured patients.
Apply By Date
- Working knowledge of eligibility, authorization and utilization review requirements related to Federal, State and County sponsored programs including but not limited to Medicare, Medi-Cal, CMISP, California Children Services, Champus, HMO, PPO and managed care groups
- Experience interviewing individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds including, listening perceptively, identifying and clarifying financial problem areas, interacting effectively with a variety of behaviors including fear, grieving, hostility and non-cooperation, ensuring that the individuals clearly understand their rights and financial options
- Working knowledge of on line registration, verification and authorization procedures
- Ability to evaluate and continuously reprioritize workload to ensure financial security is maintained and payor timelines are met
- Ability to quickly assimilate and retain a large body of financial information
- Proficiency writing concise, grammatically correct online correspondence
- Demonstrated ability to calculate percentages and perform mathematical functions to estimate balances
- Working knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, ICD-10 and CPT coding
- Knowledge of HMO/PPO/EPO/FFS, Federal/State/County programs and third party payor eligibility /authorization processes to ensure timely reimbursement
The sections of Inpatient/Outpatient Access and Financial Counseling each with its own functions and subspecialties works together to coordinate financial security for inpatient/outpatients receiving care of UC Davis Health System. The unit is called the Financial Clearance Unit.
- Salary or Pay Range: $28.88 -$35.89
- Salary Frequency: Hourly
- Salary Grade: 235
- Payroll Title:
- Number of Positions: 1
- Appointment Type: Career
- Percentage of Time: 100%
- Shift Hours: 08
- Location: North Addition Office Building
- Union Representation: EX
- Benefits Eligible: Yes
- Hybrid/Remote/On-Site: On-site
Outstanding benefits and perks are among the many rewards of working for the University of California. UC Davis Health offers a full range of benefits, resources and programs to help you bring your best self to work, as well as to help you and your family achieve your health, wellness, financial and career goals. Learn more about the benefits below and eligibility rules by visiting our handy and our
- High quality and low-cost medical plans to choose from to fit your family's needs
- UC pays for Dental and Vision insurance premiums for you and your family
- Extensive leave benefits including Maternity, Paternity, Family & Medical Leave
- 14 paid Holidays annually
- Vacation/Paid Time Off
- Sick Leave with unlimited accrual
- Continuing Education (CE) allowance and Education Reimbursement Program
- Access to free professional development courses and learning opportunities for personal and professional growth
- Wellness and on-site Employee Assistance Program including access to free mental health services
- Supplemental insurance offered including additional life, disability, short/long term disability, pet insurance and legal coverage
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSFL) Qualified Employer & Student Loan Repayment Assistant for qualified roles
- Retirement benefit options for eligible roles including Pension and other Retirement Saving Plans. More information on our retirement benefits can be found
- UC Davis cares about building a community, which is why we provide resources to enhance as well as (ERGs) to support our staff
- This position is a critical position and subject to a background check and drug screen. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history, identity checks and drug screen.
- As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California , as may be amended or revised from time to time. Federal, state, or local public health directives may impose additional requirements.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
At UC Davis, we're solving life's most urgent challenges to bring a fuller, healthier, and more resilient world within reach. We grow from every challenge we take on and we don't just maintain - we improve. We recognize that creating an inclusive and intellectually vibrant organization means understanding and valuing both our individual differences and our common ground. The most comprehensive solutions come from the most diverse minds, and you belong here.
As you consider joining UC Davis, please explore our , our and for research and education, and our latest efforts to . The advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Because we want you to be seen, our recruiting process at UC Davis fosters authenticity, diversity, and inclusion. Studies have shown that some people may not apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. Each unique role at UC Davis has a set of requirements and you could be perfect for this role, or you could be perfect for the next role! Don't meet all the requirements? We still encourage you to apply! #YouBelongHere