Great benefits. Competitive pay. We know these are some of the things people look for in a job.
But if you're the kind of person who also cares about making an impact and serving our nation's wounded warriors and their families, then you're exactly the kind of person we're looking for. When you join Wounded Warrior Project, you're committing to making a difference. We make a commitment to you too - helping you to find that spark, ignite your passion to serve, and embark on a career with meaning and purpose.
At Wounded Warrior Project we recognize our mission cannot be accomplished without our talented teammates, which is why we're proud to offer benefits such as:
A flexible hybrid work schedule (3 days in office, 2 days' work from home)
Full medical, dental and vision coverage for both teammates AND family members
Competitive pay and performance incentives
A fun, mission focused and collaborative team environment
A mission that matters is just the beginning, so if you're ready to get started, we're ready for you.The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) Veterans Benefits Specialist serves as the first point of contact for inquiries related to Department of Defense (DoD) and Veteran's Affairs (VA) benefits. The Veterans Benefits Specialist educates veterans on benefit programs and provides administrative support to a regional WWP Veterans Benefits team and assists the WWP National Service Officers in the development of warriors' claims.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Educate and assist warriors and family support members in the development of well-established Department of Defense/Veteran's Administration (DoD/VA) claims for benefits and all potential benefits.
- Develop high-quality claims through detailed assessment and prioritization of applicable medical and service evidence documents. Decide on final claim issue definition prior to forwarding completed packet for service officer assignment.
- Coordinate with Department of Defense (DoD), Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) and Veterans Health Administration (VHA) electronic systems to ensure accuracy of data and timely, professional care of warriors.
- Provide effective, timely, and responsive customer service to warriors, family members, and internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage, screen, and prioritize a high-volume incoming queue of program referrals for benefits assistance.
- Manage incoming correspondence. Research and evaluate applicability of regulations and documents supporting claims for warriors on DOD/VA claims issues.
- Conduct detailed claims development to ensure proper vetting and determine what evidence is required to support the benefits claim process, prior to handing off case to an accredited service officer.
- Maintain and update the accuracy of the WWP's case management system (Salesforce).
- Maintain confidentiality in the communication of detailed information related to VA and DoD benefits, eligibility, and evidentiary requirements.
- Support educational outreach efforts and collaborative events.
- Maintain mandatory VA accreditation standards set forth by the VA Office of General Counsel (OGC) and complete assigned training courses.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to onboarding intake teammates.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Ability to successfully complete intensive training course, consisting of DoD and VA benefits, medical terminology, and applicable laws and regulations.
- "Demonstrated ability to analyze and evaluate benefits specific needs and problems of individual veterans and their families and provide solutions, resources, or guidance for the benefits process.
- Demonstrated ability to gather, record, and evaluate information necessary for initial and continuing eligibility entitlements for a variety of veterans' benefits.
- Highly effective interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with diverse personalities in a tactful, mature, and professional manner.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with a strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize, delegate, and ensure that deadlines are met.
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and confidential medical information with discretion and compassion.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated proficiency in VA applications (i.e., VA Virtual Based Management System, SHARE, MAP-D)
- Demonstrated proficiency using Salesforce and case management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to speak write and interview effectively.
- Ability to take initiative, multi-task, work independently, and work well under pressure.
- Mission-driven, guided by core values, and a pleasure to work with.
- Two years of experience serving in the military, or working with or assisting military and veteran populations, or three years of customer service experience in an insurance or healthcare organization or legal environment.
- Successful completion of WWP veteran's benefits training program after hire.
- One year of experience with computer software, e.g., Microsoft Word, Outlook.
- Two years of experience as a veteran's benefits advocate with VA/DoD preferred.
- Two years of experience using Salesforce.
- One year experience with medical terminology in relation to veterans' benefits.
- Associated degree. Experience may be substituted in lieu of degree.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSURE
- Valid state-issued driver's license.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- General office environment; temperature controlled.
- Up to 10% travel.
We recognize the success of our mission depends on the efforts of our passionate, hard-working teammates. To help teammates remain focused on the warriors and families we serve, WWP offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes; Medical/Prescription drug, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D, Short-term Disability, Long-term Disability, and an Employee Assistance Program. WWP also offers a 401(k)-retirement plan, a competitive PTO package, Sick Leave, Family Care Leave, Paid Holidays, Birthday Holiday, Education Assistance, and Bereavement Leave.
For San Diego, California Applicants: The estimated hiring range for this position is between $57,702 - $86,553 annual base salary,subject to a candidate's combination of experience, qualifications, and credentials. This position may also be eligible for an annual performance incentive.
Wounded Warrior Project is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, age, veteran or military status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Wounded Warrior Project is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms without a written search agreement in place. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Wounded Warrior Project via email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Wounded Warrior Project in any form without a valid written search agreement in place will be deemed the sole property of Wounded Warrior Project, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Wounded Warrior Project as a result of the referral or through other means."