At CF Industries, our mission is to provide clean energy to feed and fuel the world sustainably. Our employees are focused on safe and reliable operations, environmental stewardship, and disciplined capital and corporate management. By joining CF, you will be part of a team that brings their varied experiences, wide-ranging knowledge and diverse talents together to deliver important work and you'll be able to pursue complex, exciting opportunities that help you continue to grow and achieve your potential in different areas. You'll take pride in working for a company that lives its values and where you can be yourself at work, as part of an authentic team that encourages you to share your views and opinions. Our eight manufacturing complexes in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom, an unparalleled storage, transportation and distribution network in North America, and logistics capabilities enabling a global reach underpin our strategy to leverage our unique capabilities to accelerate the world's transition to clean energy.
Function: Engineering and Engineering Services
Job Summary:The process engineer contributes to the safety, reliability, and profitability of plant operations through the development, application, and optimization of chemical process technologies. This position will develop a hands-on and thorough working knowledge of plant processes and serves as a technical resource that is utilized by many departments within the company. This position will provide engineering, technical, and potential supervisory support to operations, maintenance, process safety, and engineering teams. The incumbent will contribute to achieving organizational objectives by participating in, coordinating, and leading production initiatives, technology improvements, capital projects, health, safety, ecology, quality assurance, and logistics.
- Maintains excellent communication and a professional working relationship with all departments and plant personnel.
- Provides production and process optimization, troubleshooting, data analysis, and technical support to the operations organization.
- Monitors process and production metrics on a daily/weekly basis, reviewing KPI's, operating logs, Distributed Control System (DCS) trends, PI Data Base trends, quality lab results, and other sources of data to ensure reliable, consistent, and cost-effective operations. Monitor product yields, catalyst life and process efficiencies. Intervene where appropriate to identify and resolve operating issues.
- Provides detailed engineering support to meet Process Safety Management requirements including to monitoring and progression within the Management of Change process, Pre-Startup Safety Reviews, and safety layer evaluation and disablement risk assessments.
- Works with the EHS team to assure full comprehension of all permit conditions with the operating unit personnel and apply appropriate safety and control measures (DCS process control loops, alarms, operating procedures, etc.) that enables full compliance to permit limits.
- Develops process standards, operating procedures, diagrams, training materials, and job aids as required to properly document, teach, and manage efficient and sustainable production.
- Organizes, leads, and participates in improvement initiatives, projects, and process optimization to deliver specific, focused, time bound improvement objectives.
- Designs and implements new processes and/or equipment upgrades. Manage applicable small and large projects including potential capital project assignments as necessary to support plant improvements including those that address quality, operating reliability, costs, and production throughput.
- Provides a working knowledge of the maintenance activities in order to determine what can be done while on-stream and what must be deferred to a shutdown period.
- Actively Participates within Process Hazard Analyses and Layers of Protection Analysis teams.
- Actively participates in incident investigations and problem-solving exercises as needed.
- Actively participates in turnaround and/or plant shutdown activities. This does include planning, implementation, and verification stages.
Establishes and implements processes and procedures to meet departmental process safety and internal controls requirements. Ensures that established processes/procedures are followed as designed. Works with site and corporate team members to identify deficiencies in existing processes/procedures, the need for new ones, and the extent to which such processes/procedures are being followed. Develops and implements corrective actions with regard to department internal controls as necessary.
- BS degree in engineering.
- Engineering experience in a production, manufacturing, or plant environment.
- Exposure to project management and implementation.
- Solid communication skills including the ability to effectively converse in English, compose written documents and interact effectively with peers and supervisors.
- Familiar with applicable codes, regulations, and standards.
Successful Incumbents will have:
- Ability to work in a safe manner that promotes the health and well-being of the individual and the environment.
- Willingness and enthusiasm to work as a team player toward organizational goals.
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and decision-making skills.
- Physical capability, availability, willingness, and ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability and willingness to collect field data, enter process equipment for inspections, and perform routine field engineering work in an operating chemical facility environment.
- Effective organizational, time management, and communication skills.
- Good interpersonal and influential skills.
- Strong computer related skills, process simulation experience preferred.
- Self-motivation in advancing to the highest level possible.
- High functioning engineering knowledge and related work experience.
- CF Industries is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
- Employees in the US can learn more about their rights by viewing the federal "EEO is the Law" poster (PDF) and others as detailed below:
Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- Employees in Canada can learn more about their rights by viewing the
If you need any assistance seeking a job opportunity at CF Industries, or if you need reasonable accommodation with the application process, please call 847-405-2400 or contact us at.
JOIN OUR TALENT NETWORK