Why join our team?
With a mission that spans the globe, the USO provides a rewarding and fulfilling work environment. Our team is exceptional, and we offer generous paid time off, including volunteer days and military leave. We have a remarkable 401k match, comprehensive benefits, and opportunities for training and education reimbursement. Our team members are passionate about putting the mission first, and we have a lot of fun while doing it. Working for the USO isn't just a job - it's a calling, and we believe in doing what you love and loving what you do.
Don't take our word for it. The external "Great Place To Work" survey found that:
- The USO is a Certified Great Place to Work 2023-2024
- 93% feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
- 93% are proud to tell others they work here.
- 88% feel their work has special meaning: this is not "just a job."
- 89% feel that when you join the company, you are made to feel welcome.
- 91% feel people here are treated fairly regardless of their race.
- 87% feel people here are treated fairly regardless of their gender.
The Center Operations Supervisor is responsible for the day-to-day operations of a USO center.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (*Essential Duties)
- Manage day-to-day center operational procedures, ensuring a cost-effective, safe, welcoming, clean and well-maintained environment.*
- Develop, improve and maintain working relationships with US Military and local business community leadership to enhance awareness of the USO mission.*
- Supervise volunteers for general and program activities including recruitment, supervision, training, development and recognition.*
- Operate center within approved budgetary guidelines, including cash handling. Maintain accurate inventory. Provide information for consolidated financial, operational and statistical reports as requested. Provide any other ad hoc reports as required.*
- Control, safeguard and maintain the fabric, furniture, fitments, equipment and assets in the Center and maintain standards of cleanliness within the center. Ensure that sanitary and food-handling regulations are followed.*
- Create and maintain a Standard Operating Procedure file that details local operational procedures and Center activities to enable prompt reporting, easy rotation and follow-on.*
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- 1-3 years work experience in retail, customer service, recreation facility or related role. Relevant experience in a not-for-profit, military, multicultural and/or global organization preferred
- Strong interpersonal, customer service and problem-solving skills. Ability to interact with USO Leadership, the general public and military audiences at a variety of levels with integrity and professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment related to controversial and/or culturally sensitive subjects. Ability to handle confidential information with tact and poise.
- Must show initiative, self-motivation, and attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities. Ability to quickly and easily adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Ability to achieve desired results while working collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to perform basic math and follow proper cash/donation handling and reporting procedures, business/accounting functions including project management and budget reconciliation.
- Ability to obtain and maintain proper credentials necessary to access USO Center locations and facilities including but not limited to security, credit and/or background screening, SOFA status, valid driver's license.
- Must be a strong advocate of the USO's mission.
- This position is located in Camp Dodge, IA. Preference will be given to local candidates within commuting distance to the location.
- USO locations will adhere to local area and DOD guidelines regarding COVID vaccination/testing requirements. Employees may be required to be vaccinated or tested regularly per local requirements.
- Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration.
- Background check - education, criminal and driving required.
- The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
If that's not enough to convince you, here are some direct quotes from employees:
- The organization truly cares about the people who work here.
- I have been with the USO for 4 years and have consistently been able to grow in my knowledge and position. It is a fun place to work and my work/life balance is manageable. The way the organization has handled COVID has been top notch - I never felt fearful that I would lose my job or be put in a situation where I did not feel safe. The benefits are great - PTO and 401k matching are top level.
- There is great consideration given and extended in the following areas: organizational core values for all, work-life balance, impact we can actually see (and even experience as a staff member- the feeling of making an impact is priceless), autonomy with respect to current position within the organization.
- Everyone is friendly and easy to talk to. We collaborate well together and share ideas and interests to create fun activities for our overall goal in the community. I couldn't think of a better organization to work for.
- The mission alone provides a positive and meaningful purpose, where people should want to work and be a part of. Most of the people who work for the USO and volunteer for the USO have giving hearts and want to make a difference. This also makes the organization a place where people would want to work.
- The mission and opportunities to make a Difference are amazing. There is no doubt that the USO is one of the most forward-facing, frontline serving nonprofits that I know of.
Apply today. Join the mission. Join Team USO.