Under the general supervision of the Director of Athletics, the head coach will plan, organize and direct all activities, duties, and responsibilities of his/her respective sports program. The individual in this position will also receive a separate assignment as an adjunct faculty assigned to teach the varsity class associated with the designated sport. Pursuant to Education Code Section 72411, the person employed in this position receives a one-year contract, renewable year-to-year
This is a classified management position. An incumbent in this position reports directly to the associate dean, athletics. The incumbent will independently perform professional work involving judgment in the interpretation and application of policy and procedures. The incumbent will have a high frequency of responsible contact with administrative and professional staff, students, and other public/private agencies requiring tact and excellent communication skills, and may perform other related duties as required.*Please note this is a head coaching position.
Essential Functions and Qualifications
- Prepare for all aspects of designated season of sport, including; organizing practice schedules and assisting in the preparation of the season schedule, budgeting, travel and meals, and consulting on equipment purchases and game management staff.
- Oversee the direction of all scheduled practices during pre-season and season of sport, coach team at games, and adhere to all regulations, rules, procedures, and policies for athletic programs as established by the NCAA, the CCCAA, Allan Hancock Community College District.
- Promote leadership in all aspects of the program which includes the direction of all assistant coaches and other personnel associated with his/her team.
- Promote sport-specific strength and conditioning development of players.
- Promote ethical values of honesty and fair play by abiding by CCCAA Coaches' Code of Ethics.
- Participate in professional assignments including committee membership and other related activities. Actively fundraise and support the athletic department functions, annual Golf Tournament, Student-Athlete recognition activities, and community relations
- Attend kinesiology/athletic department meetings.
- Serve as home contest administrator as necessary, provide support to any operational needs such as stats, scoreboard operations, announcing, and oversight of student workers
- Teach appropriate PEIA courses.
- Oversee onboarding of student-workers across the athletic department; supervision of time cards, and execution of work schedules.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Organize and execute an aggressive recruiting program of district high school student-athletes.
- Recruit students who have a legitimate chance of succeeding academically and socially at the college level.
- Actively participate and support high school visitations; individual contacts with the athlete and his parents; home visits; follow-up correspondence; campus visits by the athlete; collaborate with Sports Information on developing recruiting collateral, articulate recruiting activities with interested four-year coaches; communicate with all prospects informing them of registration procedures, admission testing.
- Contact four-year coaches about present student-athletes who have the desire to attend their institution
- Respond to correspondence and questionnaires from four-year schools and professional teams that request information about our student-athletes, provide game film
- Encourage four-year coaches to visit our campus to recruit our student-athletes.
- Supply information and assistance in the preparation of a media guide; assist in the make-up of the game program; speak publicly when invited.
- Coordinate with the Assistant AD/Sports Information Director in response to media requests
- Counsel student-athletes concerning grades, finances, school plans, and schedules.
- Discuss and assist with the personal problems of players.
- In conjunction with the athletic counselor, the head coach will oversee the academic performance of student-athletes.
- Monitor weekly, quarterly, and yearly academic progress of student-athletes.
- Provide encouragement and support to student-athletes, administer appropriate discipline and, if necessary, dismiss players for misconduct.
- Submit requests for transportation; assist the Athletic Director or designee in arranging for meals and lodging for trips in a timely manner.
- Prepare trip itinerary for players; complete trip vouchers and forms and return from trips in a timely manner.
- Assist in preparing a budget for his/her sports program; maintain a budget and stay within budget; assist equipment person with inventory; check inventory.
- Attend staff meetings and Conference and state coaches' meetings.
- Attend coaching clinics.
- Maintain membership and participate in meetings at the local and state coaches' associations.
- Game Management and Site Administration
- Rules and regulations of intercollegiate sports offered by the college: knowledge of the rules and policies of the CCCAA, NCAA, NAIA, and other athletic governing bodies.
- Coaching principles and practices of assigned sport
Demonstrated Ability to:
- Assist with multiple sports team eligibility meetings to assist the Eligibility Specialist in ensuring student-athletes turn in eligibility forms and records by established deadlines.
- Assist student-athletes with meeting initial and transfer eligibility requirements.
- Prepare a list of student-athletes who qualify for priority.
- Provide leadership in articulating the athletic program to the Governing Board, administration, community, faculty, and students.
- Participate in optional non-traditional seasons.
- Pass the annual CCCAA compliance exam.
A valid California driver's license and the ability to qualify for district vehicle insurance coverage.
Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Education and Experience:
Any bachelor's degree or higher and two years of professional experience; or any associate degree and six years of professional experience. The professional experience required must be directly related to the assignment.
Master's degree in kinesiology, physical education, exercise science, education with an emphasis in physical education, kinesiology, physiology of exercise or adaptive physical education; OR Bachelors' degree in any of the above AND master's degree in any life science, dance, physiology, health education recreation administration or physical therapy is preferred.
Experience coaching, preferably at the collegiate level is also preferred.
To be considered for this position, the candidate must submit the following application materials through our website https://www.hancockcollege.edu/hr/
A current and complete resume/CV of education and professional experience;
A statement that demonstrates a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students;
Transcripts (unofficial copies are acceptable for the application process). Official transcripts are required at the time of hire.*Qualified applicants will also receive compensation for the appropriate sports-specific Intercollegiate lass based on the salary schedule 72 activity rate salary schedule for part-time faculty.
Allan Hancock College provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Hancock College will not sponsor any visa applications.