Why join our team?
With a mission that spans the globe, the USO provides a rewarding and fulfilling work environment. Our team is exceptional, and we offer generous paid time off, including volunteer days and military leave. We have a remarkable 401k match, comprehensive benefits, and opportunities for training and education reimbursement. Our team members are passionate about putting the mission first, and we have a lot of fun while doing it. Working for the USO isn't just a job - it's a calling, and we believe in doing what you love and loving what you do.
Don't take our word for it. The external "Great Place To Work" survey found that:
- The USO is a Certified Great Place to Work 2023-2024
- 93% feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.
- 93% are proud to tell others they work here.
- 88% feel their work has special meaning: this is not "just a job."
- 89% feel that when you join the company, you are made to feel welcome.
- 91% feel people here are treated fairly regardless of their race.
- 87% feel people here are treated fairly regardless of their gender.
The Transition Specialist is responsible for the delivery of USO transition services and programs to troops and their families.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (*Essential Duties)
- Support assigned clients by providing a concierge approach to assist clients in designated focus areas, connecting clients to needed resources for success during a PCS move or final transition to civilian life.
- Support Site Manager's local working relationships with U.S. military and local community leadership in order to maximize service awareness and delivery.*
- Design and keep detailed records of Individual Action Plans within USO's Salesforce system. Provide trusted partner resources and community connections to assist in meeting individual and/or family goals. Complete individual action plan goal as part of collective program goal across enterprise.*
- Assist with design and distribution of marketing materials across multiple channels in order to raise awareness of local USO's transition programs and services. Represent the organization at scheduled events and outreach programs as assigned by leadership. Promote and gather feedback through survey and data collection and enter into USO's data collection system.*
- Coordinate with local USO leadership to ensure appropriate and adequate volume of volunteers, supplies and other resources are available for all programs, services, events and activities.*
- Assist with conducting needs assessments and compiling performance metrics related to the delivery and quality of USO's transition services.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Postsecondary coursework in psychology, sociology, or social work preferred.
- 2-4 years work experience in a customer service or administrative support role. Relevant experience in a not-for-profit, military, multicultural and/or global organization preferred.
- Familiarity with U.S. military structure, regulations, and existing transition service programs sponsored by the U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Department of Labor, Veteran's Administration, and other compatible public and private services available within assigned geographic service area.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills. Ability to interact with USO Leadership, the general public and military audiences at a variety of levels with integrity and professionalism. Ability to assess and communicate what can and cannot be done by USO's transition services.
- Proficiency using computers and electronics equipment. General knowledge of various software, applications, and programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite and customer relationship management software (Salesforce preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment related to controversial and/or culturally sensitive subjects. Ability to handle confidential information with tact and poise.
- Must be punctual, organized and self-motivated, with the ability to quickly and easily adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Ability to achieve desired results while working collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to perform basic math and follow proper cash/donation handling and reporting procedures.
- Ability to obtain and maintain proper credentials necessary to access USO Center locations and facilities including but not limited to security, credit and/or background screening, SOFA status, valid driver's license.
- Must be a strong advocate of the USO's mission.
- This position is located in San Antonio, TX. Preference will be given to local candidates within commuting distance to the location.
- USO locations will adhere to local area and DOD guidelines regarding COVID vaccination/testing requirements. Employees may be required to be vaccinated or tested regularly per local requirements.
- Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration.
- Background check - education, criminal and driving required.
- The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
If that's not enough to convince you, here are some direct quotes from employees:
- The organization truly cares about the people who work here.
- I have been with the USO for 4 years and have consistently been able to grow in my knowledge and position. It is a fun place to work and my work/life balance is manageable. The way the organization has handled COVID has been top notch - I never felt fearful that I would lose my job or be put in a situation where I did not feel safe. The benefits are great - PTO and 401k matching are top level.
- There is great consideration given and extended in the following areas: organizational core values for all, work-life balance, impact we can actually see (and even experience as a staff member- the feeling of making an impact is priceless), autonomy with respect to current position within the organization.
- Everyone is friendly and easy to talk to. We collaborate well together and share ideas and interests to create fun activities for our overall goal in the community. I couldn't think of a better organization to work for.
- The mission alone provides a positive and meaningful purpose, where people should want to work and be a part of. Most of the people who work for the USO and volunteer for the USO have giving hearts and want to make a difference. This also makes the organization a place where people would want to work.
- The mission and opportunities to make a Difference are amazing. There is no doubt that the USO is one of the most forward-facing, frontline serving nonprofits that I know of.
Apply today. Join the mission. Join Team USO.