We are pleased to announce that we are looking for Nursing Assistant I (Per Diem) to join our new Inpatient Psychiatry Units at UNC Hospitals Youth Behavioral Health Facility (YBH).
Certified Nursing Assistant in a Behavioral Health setting for more than 2 years required. If hired, you will be floating between all four (4) units at the hospital.
- Shift: Rotating
- Hours: Per Diem; 6 hrs/wk; 24 hrs for the month/including weekends
- Entity: UNC Medical Center
- Location: Butner, NC
UNC Hospitals Youth Behavioral Health is a 54 bed inpatient psychiatric facility located in Butner, NC. The hospital is composed of 4 units designed to care for child and adolescent patients with a variety of common mental health diagnoses, including those with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities and with Autism Spectrum Disorder. In a milieu-based, trauma-informed, therapeutic setting, patients are treated by a multidisciplinary team of healthcare professionals, including Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Therapy Services, Social Workers, Nursing Services, Pharmacy, Pastoral Care and Nutrition Services. Safety is the key component of the care provided as well as introduction of positive coping skills, healthy living and positive leisure activities.
Are you passionate about caring for adolescents and children in a behavioral health environment? If so, we have opportunities available for you in the following area:
Dogwood Inpatient Behavioral Health Adolescents and Healing Journey Inpatient Behavioral Health Adolescents Units:
- The Dogwood Inpatient Behavioral Health Adolescent Unit is a 14-bed unit. The unit is comprised primarily of 10-14 year old patients in crisis with a variety of mental health diagnoses.
- The Healing Journey Inpatient Behavioral Health Adolescent Unit is a 13-bed unit. The unit is comprised of various ages ranging from 8-17 year old patients in crisis with a mental health disorder in addition to a developmental disability or developmental disability and with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
This position requires the ability to attend orientation and training at the UNC Medical Center in Chapel Hill.
Provides routine direct and indirect patient care in a hospital, clinic or home health care setting. All work performed is under the direct supervision of a registered nurse or physician.
1. Assist physicians and other health care providers with routine examinations and procedures, as well as procurement of equipment and supplies during emergency situations.
2. In the psychiatric setting, aids patients in reality orientation, participates in behavior modification plans/therapy, provides informal support therapy to patients/families, provides verbal de-escalation of potentially aggressive patients, aids in the physical management of aggressive/out-of-control patients, facilitates age appropriate play for children, and monitors the therapeutic milieu activities on assigned unit to ensure that emotional and safety needs of patients are met.
3. Observes, collects, and documents patient information obtained while providing care and promptly report significant changes in the patient's condition to a registered nurse or physician.
4. Provides assistance to patients and their families during admission to the clinical area, orientation to the hospital/clinic/home health experience, and discharge
5. Provides care/ treatments to patients as outlined in plan of care including, but not limited to, the measurement of vital signs, height and weight, specimen collection, skin preps/scrubs, catheter care, capillary blood glucose checks, simple wound care, range of motion exercises, postural drainage, and supportive 11 patient and family interactions.
6. Provides direct personal care to patients as outlined in plan of care for routine activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, feeding and assisting with ambulation.
7. Provides indirect care to patients and assigned area to include, but not limited to, cleaning the work area, changing linens, re-stocking supplies, cleaning/sterilizing instruments, transporting patients/ supplies/ specimens, assisting in the orientation of new employees and students, and some routine clerical functions.
8. Reinforces routine teaching given to patients by the registered nurse or physician and document patient understanding of instructions. Distributes patient education materials at the request of patients and/or health care providers.
* High School diploma or GED
* Listed as Nursing Assistant I with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
* Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification or Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
* Six (6) months of relevant nursing assistant experience, which may include a nursing assistant course
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
* Fluent in verbal and written English language and able to develop basic computer skills.
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: YBH Dogwood IP BH Adol And Healing Journey IP BH Adol
Work Type: Per Diem
Standard Hours Per Week: 6.00
Salary Range: $15.00 - $18.62 per hour (Minimum to Midpoint)
Pay offers are determined by experience and internal equity
Work Assignment Type: Onsite
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: Butner:NC:27509
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.