IT Cloud Solutions Manager - Hybrid
2 weeks ago(1/18/2023 10:50 AM)
|# of Openings
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Associate Chief Information Officer or designee, the Manager, IT Research Technology is responsible for the planning, design, review, programming and implementation of institutional software and biomedical big data solutions at the University of Massachusetts Medical School for advancing research and translation of research findings to clinics. This includes designing, developing and implementing various solutions of capturing and integrating heterogeneous biomedical research data. In addition, he/she will serve as product owner, scientific consultant, and instructor to the Medical School faculty and staff. Perform diverse and complex duties in a manner consistent with a dynamic and active biomedical education and research community. This position is Hybrid.
Envision and deliver information systems solutions in alignment with the Medical School's strategic and tactical business plans.
- Oversee existing platforms and processes to deliver efficient and effective services to meet the expectations developed with stakeholders. Identify areas of improvement for processes, technology and resources and implements these improvements
- Manage a technical team involving both functional and matrix resources that delivers technology solutions for business users
- Manage strategic vendor relationships including platform vendors, support and development partners.
- Play a leadership role in consulting with business units across UMMS to define business opportunities and map potential technology solutions to enable UMMS strategic direction. Maintain strategic focus on developing new functionality to serve UMMS community and business partners.
- Participate long-range planning and budgeting, and ensures the achievement of organizational and operational plans
- Lead or participate in RFP development, acquisitions, evaluations and contract negotiations. Plan and coordinate software acquisitions, conversions and implementations. Responsible for vendor relations
- Ensure that priorities are established and evaluated on an ongoing basis for systems modifications and requests from our user community. Maintain effective organization and staffing to meet demand
- In coordination with other departments, ensure thorough evaluation of equipment/hardware capabilities and recommend hardware and platform acquisitions. Evaluate and recommend hardware environment architectures to support ongoing customer needs
- Identify efficient tools for business and clinical application design and development. Incorporate technology tools where appropriate
- Effectively implement, promote and ensure compliance with professional and industry standards, UMASS policies and procedures, and IS quality standards for database administration, application development, business analysis requirement definition, technology development, software testing, reporting, project planning/management, and administration infrastructure and support capabilities
- Oversee staff:
- Responsible for personnel, staff development, and training within the Information Technology department
- Ensure the accuracy of work estimates, improving the overall quality of deliverables/systems, and ensuring data models, database code, and enterprise reporting components developed by staff conform with identified best practices (i.e.: scalability, security, usability, etc.).
- Participate in the oral presentation of all project findings and abstracts including participation in periodic project status meetings and presentation of final project deliverables.
- Prepare informational/educational materials for users and train clinical researchers in the use of computing resources.
- Arrange informational seminars and teach technology courses as requested as relevant to clinical research.
- Manage staff including participate in hire, discipline, termination, performance evaluations, and employee development.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Informatics, a related field, or equivalent experience
- 7 years of experience in development and implementation of technologies preferably for an academic research organization.
- Experience working in a scientific, research or academic environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to provide documentation.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- Experience working directly with users of research-related systems (i.e.: High Performance Computing clusters, large scale storage systems, etc) through one-on-one interaction in person and via electronic communication.
- Experience working in a research-focused and compliance/regulatory environment.
- Experience with Cloud-based services provided by hyperscalers (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Exposure-to and familiarity-with strategies related to cloud migration including infrastructure on PaaS/IaaS, and SaaS