Responsible for designing and installing boilers, closed vats, or containers that hold liquids and gases. Performs repairs as necessary.
- Design, install, and repair boilers used to heat water for generating electric power or providing heat in buildings and factories.
- Weld sections of boiler together using welding machines or systems.
- Study designs and drawings to create templates of boilers.
- Bend sections of metal into shape to form outline of boiler.
- Attach water tubes, stacks and liners, safety and check valves, and water and pressure gauges.
- Oversee assembly of boiler in fabrication shop.
- Build tanks and vats used to store chemicals, oil, and other products.
- Maintain boilers after installation, including making repairs as necessary.
- Build and repair air pollution equipment and other structures such as blast furnaces, water treatment plants, storage and process tanks, and smoke stacks.
- Install refractory brick in fireboxes.
- Install and maintain pipes in dams that will power water flow to and from power generation turbines.
- Visit sites to upgrade components such as boiler tubes and ductwork.
- Inspect fittings, feed pumps, safety and check valves, water and pressure gauges, boiler controls, and auxiliary machinery.
- Clean vats using scrapers, wire brushes, and cleaning solvents.
- Operate metalworking machinery to repair or make parts.
- Repair leaks and patch weakened spots.
- Replace defective parts.
- Strengthen joints.