Responsible for operating trains that carry passengers or freight. Operates automated systems that propel trains, add or remove cars, or switch cars around to unload freight.
- Operate locomotives used by train lines.
- Check trains for mechanical problems.
- Make minor or major repairs.
- Order parts for train.
- Return locomotives to service station for repairs.
- Operate automated systems that move passenger and freight cars into place in rail yards.
- Add or remove cars from the locomotive.
- Load and unload freight.
- Watch and operate instruments that measure air pressure, speed and battery power, and work the train's controls.
- Operate air brakes and throttles.
- Be aware of number of cars and contents.
- Check weather conditions to halt or stop trains in case of severe weather.
- Ensure train adheres to timetable.
- Follow railroad regulations.
- Document repairs in maintenance log.
- Build new carriages and engines.
- Fit carts with upholstery.
- Make new parts as needed.
- Take apart and test instruments.
- Inspect carts and parts for wear and tear.