The Accounting Analyst will perform finance functions including, but not limited to accounting, financial reporting, or analysis with moderate instruction or guidance. In this role, you will utilize general accounting and financial principles and techniques to support various activities within and outside of financial management covering moderately difficult assignments with diverse scope.
Financial Management Mission Statement
The mission of the Financial Management Team is to act as stewards for the financial strength of the company, and proactively influence our financial position to support the execution of the company's strategy in a way that embodies the company's core values. The Financial Management Team will:
- Facilitate the understanding and management of risks and opportunities, communicate these in a clear and timely manner, and provide reliable and actionable business insights.
- Understand current best practices and emerging industry trends to meet ongoing measurement and reporting requirements.
- Ensure an efficient, effective and evolving control framework that mitigates risk.
- Creatively and critically think about our processes, systems and services to continuously improve the quality of information used in decision making.
- Operate as an effective team of diverse, talented professionals who value continuous learning and reward strong performance.
- Build strong relationships and collaborate across the company to guide the execution of the Company strategy.
- Prepares journal vouchers and accounting classifications, and complete associated account reconciliations
- Participates in processes to ensure accuracy and completeness of financial records
- Prepares and analyzes internal and external ad hoc financial requests
- Interprets financial data and/or results for users and may offer recommendations to management
- Supports internal and external audit requests
- Provides information to support Management, Regulatory, and GAAP reporting
- May be required to keep apprised of the changing accounting and regulatory landscape through research of technical guidance; assist in documenting and informing management of potential impacts
- Documents business processes, identify controls and deficiencies in business processes, and test identified controls
- Maintains a strong control environment in adherence with the company's framework of internal controls
- May participate on project teams
- May be required to balance work between and report to multiple areas of the accounting department, requiring efficient time management skills
- Proactively identifies, recommends and implements ongoing process improvements
- Performs various other related duties, assignments and special projects as assigned
- Complies with all company and site policies and procedures
- Remains current in profession and industry trends
- Successfully completes regulatory and job training requirements
Investment Accounting / Separate Accounts Focus:
- Applies accounting knowledge to complete:
- Collaborate with investment advisor to ensure that investment accounting entries are booked monthly
- Complete reconciliations of assets and liabilities, pursuant to the requirements of the insurance company
- Complete and submit regulatory filings to the SEC
- Prepare financial statements for the separate accounts and coordinate audit inquiry responses
- Quarterly close entries to ensure timely completion
- Collaborating with other business areas to understand their accounting needs, and enhance processes
- 2-3 years of related experience
- Experience working at a Life Insurance company is a strong plus
- Experience using Workday's Financial Accounting software is a plus
- Bachelor's degree in accounting
- CPA designation or path is a plus
Skills & Abilities
- Strong data analysis skills including the ability to work with pivot tables, advanced formulas and modeling
- Ability to effectively communicate and present information (written and verbal) clearly, consistently and accurately
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Must be detail-oriented and be able to handle multiple tasks/projects as well as exercise initiative and follow-through to meet deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to make a positive contribution as demonstrated by learning new skills and making suggestions for process/procedure improvement
- Ability to work with others in a collaborative team environment