The Engineer designs, reviews, and analyzes assignments normally a major project or several smaller or less complex projects. These projects, by nature of their complexity and difficulty, require the fully competent application of conventional knowledge in a particular field of engineering or science. Through broader and more technically challenging work assignments, and develop a thorough understanding of policies, methods, and procedures.
What You Will Do:
- Performs detailed engineering review of plans, as assigned, for compliance with applicable Rules, Regulations, and contract commitments.
- Proposes technical advice to field operations and other technical offices.
- Performs work that involves conventional engineering practices but may include moderately complex problems such as resolving conflicting design requirements, material standards, or coordinating activities among other disciplines.
- Proposes new approaches to problems encountered and makes recommendations for changes in methods, procedures, or designs.
- Drafts technically accurate and timely reports, and responses to letters, faxes, and other forms of communication.
- Works directly with clients to identify and resolve problems in the area of technical expertise.
- Prepares accurate and timely weekly reports and billing on all work performed.
- Communicates the status of the current workload's status to all appropriate team members to ensure the clients' needs will be met.
- Implements and maintains ABS Quality System requirements relative to responsibilities after undergoing ABS Quality System training.
What You Will Need:
Education and Experience
- B.S. degree in Civil, Structural Engineering, Naval Architecture, Ocean Engineering, Marine, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering, or other related disciplines; an M.S. is preferred
- Graduate from University and a minimum of five (5) years of related industry experience.
- Preference for graduates from a marine-industry-recognized college or university.
- Experience in international business and technical processes, as well as international requirements and problem resolution, is necessary.
- International experience or knowledge of international business and related technical processes, requirements, and problem-solving skills.
For those with Hull backgrounds
- B.S. degree in Civil, Structural Engineering, Naval Architecture, Ocean Engineering, or other related disciplines; an M.S. is preferred.
- Demonstrated computer literacy in engineering software.
- Exposed to the Finite Element Method (coursework or supervised research).
For those with Machinery backgrounds
- B.S. degree in Marine, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering or other related disciplines; an M.S. is preferred.
- Seagoing engineering license or professional/chartered engineer license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of related technical disciplines required.
- The ability to identify, analyze and propose solutions to problems.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Able to obtain a working knowledge of the ABS Health, Safety, Quality, and Environmental Management Systems.
It Would Be Nice If You Had
Professional or chartered engineer license.
The incumbent will report to a senior level Engineer or Technical Manager. This position does not have any direct reports.